Thread: Super Dust Deputy install (with the "octopus")

Super Dust Deputy install (with the "octopus")

Hi all,

I've had a single stage 2 HP Shop Fox dust collector for a dozen years. I've been planning to mount it on a wall to save space in my 2 car garage shop for many years and finally got around to the upgrade. At the same time I decided to add switched blast gates so that everything could be closed off except the machine in operation. I've had a long ranger remote, but knew that I would be constantly forgetting to close gates and/or be searching around for the remote. All of this now makes sense because i've also finished clearing out the shop, adding lights, sheetrocking, and have a tool layout that is stable.

Anyway, here are some photos for anyone considering the same. Many thanks to folks here for inspiration and guidance along the way.

5" mainline, 4" drops. The wyes were ordered on-line and was able to find the rest of the fittings local. The straight pipe is 26 ga. snap-lock and is a whole different animal than 30 ga. usually found at the home center. I got mine from a local heating/AC outfit and was about 50% more than 30 ga.

IMG_9848.jpg

IMG_9913.jpg

I built a 'cage' to hold the SSD out of scrap. I'll likely replace the dust bag with a cartridge at some point. Right now, the upper bag is just tied off to get as much clearance as possible.

IMG_9912.jpg

I used 5" for the mainline (26 ga.) and made a bin out of a 30 gal rubbermaid trash bin and scrap mdf. The bin was selected to fit in a fairly tight spot after getting a 55 gal drum and deciding that was waaaay too big. The bin gets sucked in a bit but is holding up fine so far. Need to put a piece of plexi on the side to monitor dust level yet.

Sealed at the top with foam gasket and captured by wood rails

IMG_9349.jpgIMG_9351.jpg

The connection to the SSD is a 1" plywood gasket and a 5"-6" reducer
    IMG_9350.jpg
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

The wye at the cyclone has the main line and the stub will be for the scms and drill press eventually.

The ceiling run is held on by scrap 1x3 screwed to joists and plumbing strap. The second wye goes to the bandsaw, with a blast gate up high and enough flex hose at the bottom to move the saw for long cuts when needed.

IMG_9810.jpg

The main drop is supported by a pine frame screwed to the ceiling and is more solid than I was expecting.

IMG_9809.jpgIMG_9811.jpg

After some fiddling, I settled on a 3-way wye, with a second wye (that I already had) to get to the 4 armed 'octopus' with arms going to the planer, jointer, tablesaw and router table. Each has a blast gate at the octopus or at the machine.

IMG_9914.jpg

The blast gates and switch box are the PSI long ranger and the whole set up with 6 gates was about $125 and the switch gates were about the same price as any other. Some of the gates were a bit sticky out of the box, but overall a reasonable deal.

Naturally, the whole project took much longer than expected and cost more than expected as well, but those pains are quickly fading and I am very pleased to have all dialed in.

IMG_9839.jpg

Thanks for looking.
    Best,
    Chris
    --Yogi Berra

Well done .

Looks pretty nice, especially with the dry wall in place.

Being able to easily monitor and exchange the dust bins will be a big help, as well.
    I'd recommend adding either the plexiglass or a fill alarm by the time you go to a cannister filter.

Matt

Thanks to you both. While I consider 'drywall' to be a four-letter word, the space is vastly improved now. Kinda my favorite room in the house

Best,
    Chris
    --Yogi Berra

This is interesting as I'm mentally doing gymnastics about how best to setup for DC in my "temporary" shop and I have an SDD and Delta single stage available to cover that need. I may consider stacking like that even though it would require a little bit of actual duct work to the center of the space to service my CNC, BS and router table. I planned on just doing the hose route, but something similar to what you show may be the better choice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, yes, hard to spend effort on a 'temporary' situation. I am glad to have the hoses off the floor and to be done with connecting/disconnecting! Good luck with the decisions and have been enjoying following your progress.
    --Yogi Berra

Boy, no kidding about the octopus. My brain hurts just thinking about the spacing of all those wyes. Nice going, Chris. Is it working well for you? Seems like a bit of an ask for a 2HP unit. Even a very good one.

Must have been fun to lift the motor / cyclone up on the wall. Ouch.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Hi Alan and all,

After a couple month's use, I can say the new set-up works great. I especially like that the blast gates never move (i.e., no more "now, where did I set that remote") and, more importantly, the machines don't either, which means I'm spending less time moving things around/tripping over one machine while working on another.

The octopus did loose a limb a couple weeks ago, but it was to a good cause-- a used PCS followed me home but it doesn't have a router table (yet?). A limb may get grafted back on once I decide what to do about routing.

IMG_1035.jpg

Best,
    Chris
    --Yogi Berra

Hi all,

After a couple month's use, I have upgraded the filter to a Wynn canister style in an effort to increase efficiency and limit the hazardous dust. Nothing too different than what's in the youtube videos Wynn links to on their website. I did line the plenum box with old carpet in an effort to cut down the noise some. It seems like it help a wee bit but was not a measurable reduction with an iphone decibel meter ap. Someday I may get around to surrounding in ply/insulation. The best part was Son #1 helped out and really got his head into the job

IMG_1855.jpgIMG_1854.jpg
    IMG_1859.jpgIMG_1861.jpg

Overall, pretty happy with the set up, though Alan is correct that the set up is on the edge of what a 2 hp system can handle. I did cut a small window in the bin to monitor fill level.

The last task will be to add a drop off the stub for a new router table that's in progress + scms.

Best,
    Chris
    --Yogi Berra