Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointer plane lead time

Jointer plane lead time

Hi all,

Looks like things are starting to move a bit faster in the manufacturing realm. After many year's wait, I'm upgrading my jointer plane as I have a decent user Stanley with an upgraded blade that gets used on every project, but is a bit of a frankenplane with subpar adjustments. I have woodies in other sizes, but want a #7 metal jointer as a reference surface.

Both LN and LV are running 4-5 weeks backorder (LV was showing February just a couple days ago). Planning to go LN though I have lots of LV. I haven't found a direct comparison of the two or much on the LV besides Derek's write up. Anybody else have the LV version?

Regardless, good to see things moving a bit faster (and construction lumber supplies easing!).

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I don't have experience with either one, but if you have the cash you could order both, keep the one you like and very likely break even or sell the one you let go for a very nominal loss.

Items that say LV or LN on them in excellent condition do very well in the for sale section here. Plus you could review them side by side...

LOL-I have thought about doing exactly that, though don't really have the dough. And I think the answer would be "Ferrari or Lambo---you pick"
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    For me if a new jointer plane was on my wanted list an LV custom plane would be a temptation.

Various angles and PMv-11 blade would have me at hello.

Currently with a #7 & #8 Stanley/Bailey planes the #8 tends to get more bench time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have the LN #8 and I really like it. I do wish it had a PM-V11 blade. But the LN A2 seems to do just fine (Just have to sharpen more often).
    I've never used the Veritas jointers, but I have a Veritas #6 (A2 blade) and I use it as a jointer on shorter boards. Works great. If their #7 is like the #6 you won't be unhappy.

I would personally make the choice based on which adjuster you like better. The Stanley style (LN) or Norris style (Veritas).
    and
    If you want a PM-V11 blade. (Veritas is the only game in town for this).

Hey Chris, just today I torture tested my one and only PMV-11 plane iron in white oak and I think I am in love with PMV-11. There is no way O1 or A2 could have stood up to what I threw at the PMV11 without having to resharpen twice or thrice already. My PMV11 iron is to the point where I am wondering if I might ought to touch it up, so I can probably start with 1200 grit on it tomorrow.

If you already have a PMV11 iron in your shop, what do you think of it? If you don't, which plane that you use the most could run a PMV-11 iron for you?

I drank the Kool-Aid on A2 with very little hands on experience. Now that I am moving into hardwood I like A2 better than I did when I was working mostly softwoods getting my feet wet. I may be a late adopter of PMV-11, but this is not junk.

If you haven't tried it, I am impressed enough to suggest you drop a PMV11 iron into one of your existing planes to get your own experience before you drop big dollars on a backordered jointer plane.

Hi Jim, Erich and Scott,

I have a range of steel in my planes including O1, A2, and PMV-11. In fact, I have a LV PMV-11 blade and breaker in my Stanley #7 now and that is one reason that I'm considering a LN. Which only muddies the waters

I did get to spend a good chunk of Father's day in the shop working on my tool chest. I was reminded that a key reason I'm 'upgrading' is because the handle on the Stanley is one of the smaller ones and bites into the base of my hand. I have a LN 4 and that handle is also just nearly too small for me (i'm a shade under 6'). My scraper and all of my joinery planes are LV and I love the handles on all of them (skew rabbet, combination, shooting plane) so am now leaning that direction (and considering getting a LV custom 4 to try too...). I do have a friend in town with a LN #8 and will see about checking the handle on his before making a final decision, but will go with a #7 regardless as an 8 is bigger than the scale of most of my work.

Would still love to hear any other thoughts on either jointer.

Best,
    Chris
    --Yogi Berra

Hand Plane thread, Mutt & Jeff.JPG
    Quite happy with my Stanley No. 8, Type 7.....as much as with that Millers Falls No. 9, Type 4 in front of it.....when the No. 8 gets to be a bit much....I can down-size to a Stanley No. 7c, Type 9.....if that is too much plane...I can go to either the Stanley No. 6 or No. 6c, Type 10s......and even on to a Millers Falls No. 15 Jumbo Jack.....all about the size of the work, and how tired my arms are....all have their OEM irons and chip breakers on board....

Chris, I don't have the hours on the bench that some of the other folks here have by any stretch. I also don't have the strong opinions on O2 vs A2 some have. But I will say that I am amazed at how little I've had to sharpen my Veritas shooting plane PM-V11. It gets used for a different task than my bench planes, so maybe not a fair comparison, but boy would I buy a PM-V11 for my LNs if LV were to make them. (Or if LN were to make them).

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    Chris, I don't have the hours on the bench that some of the other folks here have by any stretch. I also don't have the strong opinions on O2 vs A2 some have. But I will say that I am amazed at how little I've had to sharpen my Veritas shooting plane PM-V11. It gets used for a different task than my bench planes, so maybe not a fair comparison, but boy would I buy a PM-V11 for my LNs if LV were to make them. (Or if LN were to make them).
    From what I’ve read, others have had success using the PM-V11 Stanley replacement blades in Lie-Nielsen planes. I haven’t tried this myself. One might need to modify the slot in the LN cap iron to accommodate the thinner PM-V11 blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bulatowicz View Post
    From what I’ve read, others have had success using the PM-V11 Stanley replacement blades in Lie-Nielsen planes. I haven’t tried this myself. One might need to modify the slot in the LN cap iron to accommodate the thinner PM-V11 blade.
    Use the LN chipbreaker. No mod required.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have the LN #8 & it's my favorite plane. It is big & heavy but I reach for it most times.

Steve, I lived in upstate NY for several years and do miss the rust hunting. Out here, it is all by mail I'm afraid.

Erich and Michael, yes, I would plan to use the LV blade I have in the LN if I went that route and thanks to Derek for clarifying that the blade can be used with the LN chipbreaker.

Bob, glad to hear. I find myself grabbing my #7 more than expected. Do you know if the tote on the #8 is larger than on a #4 (or smaller bench planes)?

Best,
    Chris
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Steve, I lived in upstate NY for several years and do miss the rust hunting. Out here, it is all by mail I'm afraid.

Erich and Michael, yes, I would plan to use the LV blade I have in the LN if I went that route and thanks to Derek for clarifying that the blade can be used with the LN chipbreaker.

Bob, glad to hear. I find myself grabbing my #7 more than expected. Do you know if the tote on the #8 is larger than on a #4 (or smaller bench planes)?

Best,
    Chris
    I can tell you that the totes on my LN #4 1/2 and #8 feel like they’re the same size; I didn’t specifically measure, but I don’t notice any difference in how they fit my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bulatowicz View Post
    From what I’ve read, others have had success using the PM-V11 Stanley replacement blades in Lie-Nielsen planes.
    FWIW, I had asked this question on an earlier thread and some folks had it work without issue, others reported they had to modify something. I can't say I left that with a clear expectation that I could for certain just drop in a PM-V11 and have it work.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....nes&highlight=