Thread: inventory levels

inventory levels

We have been selling pottery for the past 10 years, one ft and 1 pt. With pottery there is no time limit on how long it takes to sell something and weeks, months or even years is just fine. Slow sellers are often the more expensive pots that have to wait for the right buyer. Is wood inventory for things such as cutting boards, boxes, frames the same? Anything to watch for other than keeping everything in a moderate climate controled storage area and protected?

If wood and related products inventory is kept in a dry, ventilated area that's free from things like insects, etc., it will pretty much last "indefinitely". I wouldn't worry about product inventory like you describe if you keep the stuff in a reasonable environment. A darker area is a good idea to avoid shifting colors on portions of pieces that are more exposed to the light than others.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with you Stephen regarding the "Slow sellers are often the more expensive pots that have to wait for the right buyer." I have some pieces sell up to 10 years after I've made them......it was just sitting there waiting for the right shopper!
    As for environment, (and I am not really knowledgeable about pottery) my items are all kept indoors in a controlled environment(my basement TV room) would be to keep them in as normal of an environment as you can manage.
    I also have numerous items in shops/galleries on a commission and that helps with storage.

Jim

I've had instruments sit for up to 3 years or so before being sold, but most go in a year or less. It is a little awkward to store them, right now I have 12 banjos, 2 guitars and a mandolin and about 15-20 cases for various instruments, plus the shipping boxes, peanuts and bubble wrap to ship them when they do sell. It's nice to have some inventory on hand though, I regard it as potential income that won't take much more work, which is always agreeable.

Thanks everyone, sounds like I am OK with my plans of making and boxing up for shows and online.

Ask car makers, and anyone else using computer chips in their products. How just in time inventory has helped them lower inventory costs.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Ask car makers, and anyone else using computer chips in their products. How just in time inventory has helped them lower inventory costs.
    Bill D
    Ya know I do see the benifit for a manufacturer of just in time for even a small shop with multiple employees but that runs counter to our overall goal as a two person (married) artisan shop because inventory is really important for allowing us a lifestyle that is not driven by the business. Inventory helps even out slow and busy cycles and allows time off as needed or wanted. If one of us has a medical issue inventory takes up the slack. Would like to have 50 grand in inventory at start of each year. Its a goal, we'll see if I get there. We have always had pottery inventory around the 7-8k range.

I mean the just in time as satire. Car makers are idling assembly lines or building cars to be parked until the chips come in. I think for most things under say 5$ million buyers expect to be able to take delivery in a week or less.
    My brother had to order his pickup and wait two months to get what he wanted. Nothing too crazy, 4wd and long bed, regular cab. Nothing west of the rockies in inventory.
    Bill D