Thread: ISO/ WTB a particular axe head

ISO/ WTB a particular axe head

I would take two or three of them if I can find them. Pic below. Depending on who you ask this might be called a notching axe or a full wedge axe. Notice the top and bottom edges have hardly any curve to them at all, and the edge has fairly minimal camber compared to felling and utility axes.

Where this tool excels is controlled shaping cuts crossgrain, like dovetail joints on the ends of logs for a log cabin for example. We had one on the farm when I was young, but I can't ever remember seeing it after my folks moved us into town. Pic is lifted from Leonard Lee's _complete guide to sharpening_ without permission. My wife gave me the book a few years ago, and when I opened to that page it all came back.

Swoopy curvy stuff is for felling and limbing where most of the action is at the center of the edge. For straight cuts along the entire length of the edge I want the edge as straight as possible, and supported end to end.

Ideal candidate needs to be sharpened, needs to be hafted, but does not need to be taken to my blacksmith for annealing and tempering. I am not super interested in paying shipping on a haft when the head should fit in a small USPS flat rate box. If you have a basket case with the right shape for the right price I am interested in basket cases too.

Among current production axes, the Council Velvicut and Jersey classic are close, Snow and Neally's "Our best single bit" and Hults Bruk Arvika 5-star are also "close", but no cigar. I will send a US$25 finders fee to anyone who can point me at this axe in current production from good to excellent quality steel.

Shipping will need to be USPS flat rate box to Alaska, I am accustomed to reimbursing sellers here for making trips to the post office. These are very likely rare as hen's teeth west of the Mississippi, but if there are or were dovetailed log cabins built near you they might be floating around your rust hunting grounds, possibly including Arkansas and Missouri.

Thanks for looking, I will be delighted to own more than one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210618_200134[1].jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	459819

Is this what you are looking for?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	axe.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	459834

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Barrett View Post
    Is this what you are looking for?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	axe.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	459834
    That one is halfway there. I can draw a straight line from the top of the edge to the back of of the poll with no metal missing, but if I draw a line from the bottom of the edge to the back of the poll at the bottom, there is a lot of metal missing. It does have ears or tabs reaching down the haft for somewhat increased resistance to haft failure if the head gets buried and the user pulls the haft right/left to free the head; but no, it is not what I am looking for.

This should be a really skinny head. Looking at it from the top, there is almost nothing to look at; I am looking for a slicer, not a chopper.

Thanks Eddie!