Thread: Router Bosch 1600 spindle runout

Router Bosch 1600 spindle runout

Last week I was routing a piece of wood with my Bosh 1600 in a router table, when unexpectedly the router quick back the piece and beginning to vibrate loud. I immediately turn it off, and checked it for damages.

Turn it on again and the vibration continues. I suppose that the spindle can be out of align due this issue.
    I took the measurement and as you can see it is very misaligned.

The shaft seems to be very short and resistant, could it be bent? Or is it that the bearing has been damaged, can replacing it solve the problem?

What does this mean? when unexpectedly the router quick back the piece Was that the bit that was in the router when whatever happened? If a bearing fails, it screeches and rattles a little. It doesn't suddenly go way out of true unless some of the balls fell out. I'm guessing it's just the bit, the collet is broken, or you bent the armature.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    What does this mean? when unexpectedly the router quick back the piece
    I was routing a wood piece, when the bit hitched the wood (across the grain routing) and kicks it back to the wood against the bit.

Was that the bit that was in the router when whatever happened?
    No.I suspected first about the bit, but for the test I changed it for a new Whiteside spiral bit that I sure that is straight.

Blog Entries
    Yikes. Yes, that would certainly make things vibrate at router speeds. I would remove the collet and makes sure everything is nice and clean. You don't want to go replacing things for the wrong reasons. If all is clean and the runout is present on multiple bits I would say you have some damage. It would be great if it were just a bearing. This would be obvious when you UNPLUG the router and then place lateral pressure back and forth on the bit or collet; there should be no side to side movement. If there is, I would look to the bearings. If not, you will have to decide how much time and money to throw at the router versus replacement. I have restored a router that got put in a drawer till I had time to play with it. Ended up bringing it back into service for about half the cost of new. I probably wouldn't do that again unless it was an older tool of obviously better quality than our choices today.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Time for a new router.

This weekend I start unassembly the router to check the issue.
    Apparently the problem is in the bearing. As you can see in the video below, there is a small gap in the shaft.

Everything goes fine, I bought new bearing to change and back to business, but.....
    IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO RELEASE THIS COLLAR NUT. I can't properly hang the shaft to release the nut.
    It's extremely locked, maybe with some thread lock adhesive. I tried almost everything, hit it with hammer, warm up the axis with a soldering iron, grip pliers.... I can not release it at all.

My last resource is cutting it whit a wheel grinder, but I think it would damage the shaft thread.
    Any ideais what can I do?

Blog Entries
    When I rebuilt my Bosch Colt the entire arbor and motor shaft came out. The bearings are driven off the ends (friction fit). I posted about it >>> here. <<< Obviously a different router but maybe this will help.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-28-2021 at 8:56 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Did you try a spanner wrench in those square notches? Every parts break down I see for a GOF 1600 shows a hex nut under there. You can see threads under it, or is it pressed on the shaft? Could it be left hand threads?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    When I rebuilt my Bosch Colt the entire arbor and motor shaft came out. The bearings are driven off the ends (friction fit). I posted about it >>> here. <<< Obviously a different router but maybe this will help.
    Thanks, I checked, but different router, different parts, different methods. The Gof 1600 is a simple machine, very easy to unassembled, the issue is just this damn collar nut.

Did you try a spanner wrench in those square notches? Every parts break down I see for a GOF 1600 shows a hex nut under there. You can see threads under it, or is it pressed on the shaft? Could it be left hand threads?
    Richard, yes I tried the spanner wrench in this notches. It's hard to keep the shaft locked to use the wrench, there is a bearing here that rotate the axis. .
    There is no safe place to secure hardly the armature/axis while pushing the wrench.

I can't see the threads, but when you look at the exploded view you can see a thread here:
    https://www.boschtoolservice.com/gb/...-ce-3601F24070

This guy disassemble the same router in the video below (4:50). He use his hands to loose the collar nut :
    https://youtu.be/bFF1FThHfZs?t=292

There is also a this topic about a different issue with the collar, totally loose:
    https://www.bosch-professional.com/g...748#id13287748
    In the video you can also see this is not a right hand thread.

I'm now looking for 2 big nuts that fits in the collet nut to press one against other to lock the axis while trying to loose the collar with a spanner wrench.
    Hope it works.