Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did I save this?

Blog Entries

Why did I save this?

Like many on this website I subscribe to the " you never know when you might need this " so I save way too much stuff. Today I think I took it to the extreme. We has a new door installed , the white door bell worked fine but didn't look right so I put in a new black one and I SAVED THE OLD ONE!
    Dennis

I used to do the same thing, a lot. I will be going through a box 2 years later and say "why did I save this" and toss it. Sometimes saving oddball things pays off, but not often.
    I've gotten better..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    One day there is going to be a big yard sale and all that old stuff will go home with someone else. That is one justification used by Candy and me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Like many on this website I subscribe to the " you never know when you might need this " so I save way too much stuff. Today I think I took it to the extreme. We has a new door installed , the white door bell worked fine but didn't look right so I put in a new black one and I SAVED THE OLD ONE!
    I probably would have painted the old white one black if it still worked, otherwise yes it would be added to the pile of "this might come in handy some day pile" anyone know when the next "some day" is? My pile is getting pretty big.

Saving the old one? Yes. Its finding it again when I do need it thats the problem.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Ditto, also where did I put that 5 min ago....

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Saving the old one? Yes. Its finding it again when I do need it thats the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coates View Post
    Ditto, also where did I put that 5 min ago....

Bob
    Been there enough times.

every time you by a new Phone, camera, dash cam what ever they all come with new cables, I have a box with tons of cables , usb jacks, hubs all kinds of stuff I'll never use , do I dare throw them out , noway LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    every time you by a new Phone, camera, dash cam what ever they all come with new cables, I have a box with tons of cables , usb jacks, hubs all kinds of stuff I'll never use , do I dare throw them out , noway LOL
    Every once in a while when digging through stuff an old desktop switch box turns up. It was for use with a Macintosh model that was obsolete over 30 years ago. There is another box that should be tossed with some old parallel printer cables, RS-232 cables and some cables that are unlikely to be identified by any living person.

It seems the only ones that are still in use after all these years are the ones with the infamous RCA jacks or stereo headphone jacks on their ends.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

One of my issues with getting rid of stuff is not wanting to pay to recycle electronic waste. Best Buy will take electronics for recycling, but they aren't going to take something like a broken LED taillight. State law technically requires that an LED taillight be recycled because it has a PCB in it. I know most people would probably just toss it in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    One of my issues with getting rid of stuff is not wanting to pay to recycle electronic waste. Best Buy will take electronics for recycling, but they aren't going to take something like a broken LED taillight. State law technically requires that an LED taillight be recycled because it has a PCB in it. I know most people would probably just toss it in the trash.
    Same with smoke detectors that have a tiny piece of radioactive material in them (Americium 241)
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries

I did it again!

My 5 pair of safety glasses were old and scratched so I ordered a dozen new ones and I SAVED THE OLD ONES!!!!
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Every once in a while when digging through stuff an old desktop switch box turns up. It was for use with a Macintosh model that was obsolete over 30 years ago. There is another box that should be tossed with some old parallel printer cables, RS-232 cables and some cables that are unlikely to be identified by any living person.

It seems the only ones that are still in use after all these years are the ones with the infamous RCA jacks or stereo headphone jacks on their ends.

jtk
    RS232 is still used though not widely. The others? Probably not.

I save a lot of stuff. My wife is a thrower. So she got after me Once to get rid of some stuff so I did including 3 old Larsen storm doors. Wasn’t a week later and the latch broke on one of the Larsen doors still in use on our house. So the company no longer carried the parts ( planned obsolescence ) so off to buy a whole new door due to the fact that I had just burned 3 of them. Funny how things work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I scavenged the solenoid from an old doorbell and threw it in a drawer. Years later, our daughter hosted a Halloween sleepover. I wired up the solenoid to tap on the floor under our family room. My wife told a spooky story and at appropriate moments, I triggered the solenoid. It was a hit.