Thread: CNC request?

CNC request?

O mighty Creek gods, smite me if this is not the appropriate forum for this. It's been a while since I've been on here.

I have an old German dice game my son and I love. There are crappy plastic modern equivalents called Super Six. I have the old original version in aluminum my Dad bought me in 1975. I'm looking for someone that can make me some extra pegs, since we've lost a few over the years on vacation.

They're basically hexagonal pegs in raw aluminum. I can take exact measurements and post pics, but if someone can make me a dozen of these, I'm happy to mail an example. I don't have the right tools or skill to make something this small out of aluminum. But, I have started thinking about turning a larger version out of wood...

Basically I want to have some extras for when the little guys in our family start playing.

I realize this may be uninteresting for a bunch of you, since it's a very small lot. Just thought I would ask.

Gary
    Where did I put that tape measure...

What is the length, and what it the measurement across the flats? Yes - perhaps you could post a photo of one of the pegs. There are several sources for aluminum hex material. In particular, McMaster-Carr sells aluminum hex standoffs in many sizes. These generally have either a round or threaded hole thru the center, but this could be filled or used as is. It all depends on how closely you want the replacements to match the originals.
    David

hex standoff.jpgsuper six dice game.jpg
    https://www.mcmaster.com/91780A117/
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 06-17-2021 at 7:57 PM.

Gary, aluminum & brass hex bar stock is available in many sizes, I would look at that option first. Machining small hexagonal pegs is not as easy as you might think.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I agree with Bruce...the workholding and human time required to do this "seemingly simple" job would be darn expensive, especially if the machine doesn't have an indexing lathe/4th axis. Check places like McMaster-Carr first for pre-made extrusions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As I had previously stated, McMaster-Carr is a great source for this sort of thing. Here is their page with raw aluminum hex bar stock with sizes starting at 1/8". The OP can order the size he needs and cut to the desired lengths with some hand sanding of the ends to finish them up.
    David

https://www.mcmaster.com/aluminum-hex-stock/
    more hex stock.jpg