Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This a SCAM?

Is This a SCAM?

Got this TEXT from SSAScreenshot_20210617-083352.png I logged into my account the normal way I do and there were no message in my inbox.
    I'm wondering what happens if you type in the address they sent. LOL no me. Just wondering if its a scam or has anyone else got this text/
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I always assume anything like that with a link is a scam.

If it was from SS the website would end in .gov. Anything else is a scam.

Like anything else, just login thru your usual channel. If the message is legit, it will be there. Otherwise, it is a scam.

An email came in for my mother's account today with the same language and it was legitimate.

So instead of clicking on the link, just bring up the SSA.GOV website and head to your account login page. Once you do that, you can visit the message center. If the text was legitimate, you'll see a message waiting.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I received the same email on Monday. It was legit.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Also received. I never use links in emails instead going direct to the site. I also had no new message but did have an old unread message. Certainly poorly administered systems that interval trigger, deem unread items as new items, and then generate an erroneous email are not uncommon enough. The email was legit, the information was just in error.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yes, it's just a message that gives notice about certain kinds of notices and some changes on how they are willing to deliver them to citizens.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Got this TEXT from SSAScreenshot_20210617-083352.png I logged into my account the normal way I do and there were no message in my inbox.
    I'm wondering what happens if you type in the address they sent. LOL no me. Just wondering if its a scam or has anyone else got this text/
    I got this email this morning

"You elected to receive email notifications when there is a new item in your my Social Security Message Center.
    You have a new message at my Social Security. You may log in to your account to view new Message Center items.
    Please do not reply to this automatically generated message. To unsubscribe from future notifications, please log in to your account and update your Message Center notification preferences."

I did not receive a text

Ok I did go to my SS and log in and I had no new messages. What I think happened is I got an email a few day ago saying I had new message. I went to my SS read the messaage and deleted it. This morning I get this text. So I think the text message was just sent later then the emails DUH
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

NOT a scam as noted above, it's a message alerting us old people to the cost of living increased payments

They have 2-step authentication, first is you log in and verify your email address, second step is they email you a code number, which you then enter on the website...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I thought most government agencies generally only communicate official stuff via postal mail? I am pretty surprised the Social Security Administration would use text messages.

you can choose to go paperless, hence the text and emails--
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I thought most government agencies generally only communicate official stuff via postal mail? I am pretty surprised the Social Security Administration would use text messages.
    At some level of "Official" they might do that. For example they want to audit your taxes or you missed a court date, but considering the relative cost of texts vs snail mail not to mention the time frame being several days shorter, text messages are here to stay. It saves some of your tax dollars.

Revenue Canada uses email to notify that you have new messages but if I recall they don't include a link, they just tell you to go to your account on their website. It's the inclusion of a link that made me think it was a scam.