Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Like a kid in a candy store

Like a kid in a candy store

My great grandfather, who passed away in 1972, worked as a carpenter and of course had the requisite tools. I just found out that his tool chest has been sitting in my aunt's garage for years. She and my grandfather have agreed that it should be passed down to me.

She sent me some pictures. I feel like a kid in a candy store right now.

IMG_3799.jpgIMG_3801.jpgIMG_3800.jpg

Blog Entries
    What a great inheritance.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Super cool. Maybe you can do a complete cleaning and sharpening. That will familiarize you with everything. It will probably be another two decades before anything that comprehensive is done again. Thanks for sharing this.

Very nice! Full set of Irwin bits there too.

Very nice Michael. Be gentle with the box for the Irwin bits, I wish I had a box like that to keep my auger bits in. Some really nice pieces in there, never mind the chest itself.

I would be interested to know the tooth patterns on the saws someday. I am going to guess one rip and three crosscuts, but I only feel confident guessing 3 of the 4 tooth patterns from here.

Tickled pink for you.

How fantastic for you!

It brings mixed emotions… my family was not so thoughtful.

I am truly happy for you.

You lucky dawg!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Michael
    Very Nice; I have just a couple pieces of my great grandfather's.
    They are hangers not users.

Congratulations. Hope you are able to keep them in the family for generations to come. Very cool gift.

It's probably going to be a while before I get to visit my aunt's house again, so I am planning on having them shipped out to me. Any suggestions on how best to have them shipped to avoid damage in transit?

Thanks in advance.

Where outside Wisconsin is it, roughly? I would be looking for a soccer mom with a minivan who was going on a road trip to Madison myself.

Billings, Montana. Roughly a 15 hour drive from here.

An inheritance within your family is the best/safest way to acquire tools in my opinion...
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bulatowicz View Post
    Billings, Montana. Roughly a 15 hour drive from here.
    A package shipped via UPS last week weighing 19 lbs cost about $25. Not sure how much the tool box weighs but it would be worth it.

What would be great is if you could get your family to write what they know about your great grandfather's use of the tools.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    What would be great is if you could get your family to write what they know about your great grandfather's use of the tools.

jtk
    Excellent suggestion, Jim. Thanks.

My grandfather is still sharp at age 94 and probably remembers quite a bit about his father in law. It would indeed be good to get some history on these tools to include in the chest when I pass it along.