Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Display cabinet on stand

Display cabinet on stand

Here is a recent project just completed. This cabinet is made from mahogany and measures approximately 5' 3" tall x 23" wide and about 13" deep. Its a variation of a design I did back in 1982. In addition to the glass door panels, there are glass side panels which allow for greater viewing of the contents displayed. The cabinet has two satin edged glass shelves resting on removable "Brusso" brass shelf pins with additional means to have a single, centrally located shelf. The stand's wood shelf has two removable planks which when inverted reveal hidden compartments with sliding lids.

The piece was originally being made for a high profile musician and I added the "secret" (yeah,,,I know...not any more) stash compartments as a bit of lagniappe. Finished with multiple coats of wipe on poly rubbed with Micro mesh between each coat and a final rub down with Renaissance wax

This piece was designed to have understated grain and a shape that would not compete with the pieces chosen to be displayed. There are no knobs or handles on the doors to interrupt the elegant simplicity of the piece. The doors are held shut with a high quality cabinet lock from a source in England (Fine Box Hardware). I usually purchase from box maker extraordinaire Andrew Crawford (Smartboxmaker.com) but he has been having quality control issues with his manufacturer and is currently out of stock.

Client suddenly decided he didn't have the room for the piece so it is now for sale.

Cheers,

Kent
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really lovely piece and nicely photographed, too!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice. Understated? Maybe, but the subtle grain choices in the aprons are duly noted.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    Very nice Kent.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Beautiful piece, Kent. Sorry to hear the client backed out. Given the design and quality of workmanship, I suspect it will sell quickly. Thanks for sharing.

Very well done Kent. Two details really strike me: the legs are beautifully tapered and curved, and the chaos of the angled ends of the cabinet base are a great contrast with the grace of the rest of the piece. No, 3 details: the manner in which you "floated" the cabinet above it's obvious support is really nice. I'll have this cabinet in mind when I get back to the humidor I'm making. They are similar in several ways: curved tapered legs, floating cabinet and a bit of chaos in an otherwise subdued piece.

Great work!
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Agree with Bill, I really like the leg shaping on this one.

Blog Entries
    I really like it Kent. It has so many elements that I enjoy. The carved surface on the outer edges of the upper cabinet's bottom is a visual treat. The understated lines strike a great balance between a great looking cabinet and a cabinet that displays the contents. Hope you find a lucky buyer in the near future. Cancellations are why I get a non-refundable deposit ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Really nice piece. I also like the end grain treatment a lot.

That’s a nice display cabinet.
    Keeping the sprit of Krenov alive I like it !
    Aj

Very nice. I have the perfect place for it. My checkbook thanks me that I live so far away. Where are the “stash” compartments concealed?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Rob,

The second photo shows the hidden compartments. They are accessed by flipping over the center two pieces of the lower shelf.

Gotcha. I thought those were just nice little boxes on the shelf. Clever idea.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

What a beautiful piece of furniture with so many elements to catch the eye. Sorry to hear the buyer backed out but as said, I'm sure it will sell quickly.
    A wannabe woodworker!

Beautiful piece. I love pottery and I sometimes make noises about building my own pottery shed in retirement, but given my appreciation for fine furniture, a piece like this will always compete with the items on displaying my eyes. Very well done.