Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vivaldi’s Planing Stop (“The Four Seasons” and wood movement)

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Camire View Post
    Chris,
    I know this goes off topic a bit but where did you get the metal stop piece of your stop? Did you purchase it? If yes can you share where that was?
    Izzy
    I made it. It's just a piece of 1/4" mild steel from the home center store. Just cut the shape with a hack saw or whatever kind of saw (refine with a file), file the teeth, and drill the holes. It's basically like the Benchcrafted one except it cost about 5 cents. They use a complicated barrel system to secure it because you don't have much strength screwing into end grain. But you don't need that. Here's a pic with it raised and you can see I drilled a 1" hole and stuck an oak dowel in there for the screws to bite into. That did double my costs from 5 cents to 10 cents though! If you look carefully the metal is tilted up about 1 degree so you don't have the experience of missing the teeth only to have your plane whack the back (which would really suck with a wood plane).
    stop raised.jpg

I did another one with a more traditional stem design on a different bench, but again I have no blacksmithing skills. So I cut the shape with the stem and just put a bend in it. I only have a propane torch, which doesn't get super hot, so it was slow going to make sure I didn't overstress the steel. It's 3/16th thick stock because I couldn't pull it off with 1/4" (couldn't get it hot enough - too thick for a propane torch to make a tight bend). I screwed up making the hole and it was loose so I resorted to epoxying it in.
    IMG_20210618_085452915.jpg

Neither of these were terribly time consuming to fabricate, even with my pathetic metal working skills (pretty much zero).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ritter View Post
    Here is what I did on my bench. If they are not too tight you can still adjust with a hammer.

Attachment 459751

Attachment 459752

Jim
    Jim,
    When I was searching for a solution I saw this as a common approach, typically using big wing nuts. Your's is MUCH more aesthetically pleasing!

Thanks Chris. Not hard to make, easier if you have a drill press. The head of the bolt is mortised and then a thin disc of wood is glued on top to hide the head. The holes to create the knob are drilled before the disc is cut out.

BA1098A3-E571-45A5-B626-7F6C42EE7AB6.jpg

2D21D382-BEBB-4177-9F38-C3874AECA9DA.jpg

Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service