Just a little joke for the other music nerds out there.

Anyhoo, my bench is douglas fir (excellent bench material!!) and my planing stop is made from beech. I love it and it is probably tied with my holdfasts for most frequently used work holding tool.
ps1.jpg

When I put it in it was moderately tight and it was great. Then a few months later it was so tight I was burning 800 calories trying to move it. I was forced to plane it down, not just so I could move it easier, but also because I wasn’t going to take any chance it could crack my 4” thick benchtop. All was good until the next movement of Vivaldi’s masterpiece. Now it was loose, and getting looser. As I would plane against it, it would very slowly shimmy its way down until the workpiece went flying down the bench! To fix this, I clamped a scrap of wood to the top stretcher (this is a S/T roubo) that was a little thicker than the gap between my planing stop and the stretcher. Then I stuck a thin piece of wood (ironically, I think it was a cut off from one of the legs that was hiding amongst some scraps!!) between the two. It presses the bottom of the planing stop forward which kicks the rear of the top (above the bench) back. It totally worked. I even glued a piece of leather to the wood spring, but I don’t think it really made a difference. I intended to replace the clamp with some screws or something, but because it was out of sight, it was out of mind.
ps2.jpg
Alas, Vivaldi keeps playing music! Now the planing stop is perfectly tight again and my little contraption does nothing. I would remove it except that I know Vivaldi will make it loose again and I don’t want to have to search out another set of scraps. So it will stay.