Thread: Aspire vs Fusion for 3D work

Aspire vs Fusion for 3D work

I know a lot of you here use Vectric software. Wondering how Aspire compares to Fusion 360 for full 3D work? I've been using Fusion for 2.5D stuff for a while, now I want to get into 3D stuff - carving banjo necks, furniture parts, etc. Looks like a big journey up the learning curve!

Honestly, it depends upon "what kind of 3D" you want to do. Fusion 360 can do "more" than Aspire for some things, but with its wheelhouse, Aspire is a good tool. Rhinoceros is another top option here for 3D work. I own Aspire and it meets my particular needs. If I needed more capability, I'd likely go to Rhino rather than Fusion 360 for a paid tool.

BTW, one rule of thumb is "don't cut something as a 3D model if you can do the deed using 2D or 2.5D techniques." Why? Speed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the advice Jim. I think I'm gonna stick with Fusion for now. I was looking at a used machine that would include Aspire, thought I'd ask about it.

Having that Aspire license with the used machine isn't a horrible thing, honestly. Even if you don't use it to make 3D stuff, it's a great platform for 2D and 3D work as well as for the CAM side of things. You're talking a $2000 piece of software. (V10.5 is the current release for your information)
    --

That was what I was thinking, but when I asked if the license was transferable was told there was no license. How could that work? Made me rethink the deal

Vectric license transfer policy below. I don't know that I ever received an actual "license" printed on paper for my Vectric Aspire or VCarve Pro. My software is registered with Vectric so when I visit their website I can download additional seats for my other computers, etc. The seller of the used cnc machine in question may have purchased his machine second hand with Aspire already installed on the control computer and was never aware of any license. The Vectric license transfer policy states that the original purchaser of a Vectric product may transfer ownership to a second party for a $50 transfer fee (if I am reading the policy correctly). But the license can only be transferred once.
    David

https://support.vectric.com/aspire-q...ransfer-policy

Vectric licenses are electronic. Maybe something was different in very early versions (I started at v9) but current generations of the application will not run beyond "trial mode" which has enforced limitations on cutting and file transferability, etc. So the machine seller really can't say Aspire is included unless it's fully licensed and there are some specific limitations on transferability as detailed in the link that David provided.
    --

I asked the seller if the software was purchased from Vectric. Reply was it's a "working copy", and if he were keeping the machine he'd purchase a license from them.

Quote Originally Posted by richard newman View Post
    I asked the seller if the software was purchased from Vectric. Reply was it's a "working copy", and if he were keeping the machine he'd purchase a license from them.

Not sure exactly what that means. Is it a legitimate copy from the original license purchaser and he would pay the $50 to transfer the license to himself (I think the original license purchaser would need to be involved here) or is he using the trial version and would pay the $1995 to convert from trial version to full version? It either case, it sounds like you would be on the hook for $1995 if you wanted a legitimate license (whether you purchase his machine or not). I would ask him for more specifics. If he is not willing to provide them then yes - it does sound a bit "shady".

David

I share the same concern as David...it doesn't sound like there's a legitimate license for the software. Therefore, he/she can't "sell" it to you. You'd have to buy your own license from Vectric at full cost since you can't even upgrade without a legitimate license in place.
    --

Yes, I agree, going to pass on the machine. Thanks for the advice

Yes, I agree, going to pass on the machine. Thanks for the advice
    I would not pass because of that reason, I would just knock $2000 off the sellers asking price.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Yes, a number of reasons I'm not going after it.