Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tormek vs Scheppach Sharpening Systems

My point in my post is that Jeff Farris, skilled, talented at demos, whatever, is more than just a salesperson for a company. His company for which he is a sales manager, (Or president depending on how you read his bio info here) bills itself as "the United States marketing and sales support representative for the Swedish made TORMEK" As such the wise person carefully evaluates words from such people. They have a vested interest in what they say and how they say it. A quatitative comparison is important along with users comments even those of a professional woodworker. Not everyone on forums such as this is a professional woodworker or even a serious woodworker.
    I appreciate reading the comments of those who consider different options as well as hearing from those who sell one brand or another. In this day and time of web forums etc it is important to look below the surface when researching reviews and comments made by impartial evaluators or whomever. To fail to do so we risk becoming another victim of scammers and the like. All one has to do to look at 'Wikipedia' and it's numerous pratfalls in 'facts' to see that the term "buyer beware" is no less important today that in years past.
    That said I am certain that the Tormek may well be the greatest sharpener around for those who are willing to invest deeply in such a capability. Otherwise, the local professional tool sharpening shop along with a modest wet grinder or bench grinder may be the wiser choice for those of us with limited budgets.
    Last edited by Gary Hedges; 11-14-2007 at 4:05 PM. Reason: Correct errors

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hedges View Post
    My point in my post is that Jeff Farris, skilled, talented at demos, whatever, is more than just a salesperson for a company. His company for which he is a sales manager, (Or president depending on how you read his bio info here) bills itself as "the United States marketing and sales support representative for the Swedish made TORMEK" As such the wise person carefully evaluates words from such people. They have a vested interest in what they say and how they say it. A quatitative comparison is important along with users comments even those of a professional woodworker. Not everyone on forums such as this is a professional woodworker or even a serious woodworker.
    I appreciate reading the comments of those who consider different options as well as hearing from those who sell one brand or another. In this day and time of web forums etc it is important to look below the surface when researching reviews and comments made by impartial evaluators or whomever. To fail to do so we risk becoming another victim of scammers and the like. All one has to do to look at 'Wikipedia' and it's numerous pratfalls in 'facts' to see that the term "buyer beware" is no less important today that in years past.
    That said I am certain that the Tormek may well be the greatest sharpener around for those who are willing to invest deeply in such a capability. Otherwise, the local professional tool sharpening shop along with a modest wet grinder or bench grinder may be the wiser choice for those of us with limited budgets.
    Speaking only for myself, I appreciate that Jeff takes the time and reads and responds to the posters here at SMC. Every question I had for Jeff was answered. If I remember correctly he also responded to my E-mail questions in a timely fashion. Being new here Mr. Hedges, you will learn that most of the tool shoppers here at the Creek are well informed, and do alot of researching before they purchase. That being said, a little reminder of the dangers that lurk around corners, is appreciated by me and probably others.

Gary

New member...3 posts...all on one subject...things that make you go Hhhhhmmmm!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    New member...3 posts...all on one subject...things that make you go Hhhhhmmmm!

Hhhhhmmmm what???

Things that make you go "Hmmm"

Author unknown
    1. Why do we park in driveways and drive on parkways?
    2. Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks?
    3. Can I yell "movie" in a crowded firehouse?
    4. Can you be a closet claustrophobic?
    5. How do a fool and his money GET together?
    6. Why does Hawaii have interstate highways?
    7. How is it that a building burns up as it burns down?
    8. If a train station is where the train stops, what is a workstation?
    9. If nothing ever sticks to Teflon, how do they make Teflon stick to the pan?
    10. If the pen is mightier than the sword, and a picture is worth a thousand words, how dangerous is a fax?
    11. If the police arrest a mime, do they tell him he has the right to remain silent?
    12. What hair color do they put on the driver's licenses of bald men?
    13. What was the best thing before sliced bread?
    14. Why do banks charge you a "non-sufficient funds" fee on money they already know you don't have?
    15. Why do they put Braille on the drive through bank machines?
    16. If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    17. If you get cheated by the Better Business Bureau, who do you complain to?
    18. What are Preparation A through Preparation G?
    19. In a country of free speech, why are there phone bills?
    20. Did Washington flash a quarter when asked for ID?
    21. How come there aren't B batteries?
    22. If the post office has machines that can sort snail mail at 1000's of times per minute, then why do they give it to a little old man on a bike to deliver?
    23. How do "Do not walk on the grass" signs get there?
    24. Why do black olives come in cans and green olives come in jars?
    25. Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?
    26. How is it possible to have a civil war?
    27. If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    28. If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?
    29. If the #2 pencil is so popular, why is it still #2?
    30. Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?
    31. If I melt dry ice, can I take a bath without getting wet?
    32. Crime doesn't pay...does that mean that my job is a crime?
    33. How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?
    34. How do you know that honesty is the best policy until you have tried some of the others?
    35. How do you throw away a garbage can?
    36. How does a thermos know if the drink should be hot or cold?
    37. How does the guy who drives the snowplow get to work in the mornings?
    38. Do you realize how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?
    39. If a word in the dictionary were misspelled, how would we know?
    40. If you're in a vehicle going the speed of light, what happens when you turn on the headlights?
    41. What happens to an 18 hour bra after 18 hours?
    42. Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?
    43. Why do hot dogs come 10 to a package and hot dog buns only 8?
    44. Why do tourists go to the tops of tall buildings and then put money into telescopes so they can see things on the ground close-up?
    45. Why is it that bullets ricochet off of Superman's chest, but he ducks when the gun is thrown at him?
    46. Why is it that night falls but day breaks?
    47. Why is it that you must wait until night to call it a day?
    48. What if the Hokey Pokey IS what its all about?
    49. When your pet bird sees you reading the newspaper, does he wonder why you're just sitting there, staring at carpeting?
    50. What happened to the first 6 "ups"?
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I wonder how long Glenn waited before someone said "Hhhhhmmmm what?" ?

Gary

23 minutes...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    23 minutes...
    Hhhhhmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Hhhhhmmmm
    I'm literally waiting for stain to dry and I was bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Zenda View Post
    I'm literally waiting for stain to dry and I was bored.
    Wow..that must be on the same level as watching the grass grow.

Gary

How come there aren't B batteries?

There are (were)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_battery_(vacuum_tubes)

Wes

The Scheppach is selling for $131.90 on Amazon right now - if you're ready to buy.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

And the Jet for $185 at Amazon as well.

Heck of a deal on either, and not likely to stay for very long

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Speaking only for myself, I appreciate that Jeff takes the time and reads and responds to the posters here at SMC. Every question I had for Jeff was answered. If I remember correctly he also responded to my E-mail questions in a timely fashion. Being new here Mr. Hedges, you will learn that most of the tool shoppers here at the Creek are well informed, and do alot of researching before they purchase. That being said, a little reminder of the dangers that lurk around corners, is appreciated by me and probably others.

Gary
    I agree exactly with what the "new" Gary is saying. While Jeff may be presenting facts, to assume that they're unbiased is a pretty rosy view of the world. Ignoring that you can convince yourself of things subconsciously if you have incentives tied to something is a good way to prevent yourself from getting an objective view of things.

I would also like to see a comparison by someone who:
    1) Doesn't sell any of the machines
    2) Doesn't own a machine that they consider such a significant outlay as to need to justify to themselves that they made the right purchase.

3 posts or not, Gary has a very relevant point. Does anyone on here think that Jeff, no matter how nice of a person he is, will point out the strong points of any competitive machine?

I will not buy a machine that I consider to be inferior, but at the same time, i will never buy a Tormek because their pricing is ludicrous and we've had at least one mention on here of off-the-record threats if there are sales below a certain price level - something I thought only Festool liked to do (though I guess they plainly state it in writing).

Besides, $9 for a honing jig, and I can create a nice flat grind with a 220 grit belt - one where the strength of the bevel isn't compromised by a hollow.

So...if anyone owns several of the machines and uses them in a shop environment, we'd like to hear your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I would also like to see a comparison by someone who:
    1) Doesn't sell any of the machines
    2) Doesn't own a machine that they consider such a significant outlay as to need to justify to themselves that they made the right purchase.
    In the absence of someone buying and reviewing both machines (nobody has yet) having someone like Jeff at least list the features that he believes sets his machine over the competition gives us all a good starting point for evaluation. When I make a significant purchase, I want to hear what the salesperson has to say, what an unbiased person will say, and what I research above that.

I own the Tormek, for which, I got the entire setup used for less that one would have to pay for the Jet machine alone (gloat.) So I am clearly a happy camper. My BIL owns the Jet, for which all my attachments will fit. He is a happy camper. There are some things I like better about mine and some things I like better about his. If I had money to burn I would sell mine and buy the newest Tormek, since it comes with three stones of varying grit.
    Last edited by Eric Gustafson; 11-19-2007 at 11:58 AM.