Thread: Portable Band Saw?

Portable Band Saw?

I’m tempted to purchase a band saw: Space is limited in my shop, so I’m interested in the portable band saws on the market, and perhaps adding a “portable band saw bench” to it.

The 9-10” bench top band saws don’t seem to have enough power to cut metal: which would be a requirement for my needs: And I don’t really do much work where I’d need to resaw fine pieces of wood, so I don’t think I’d miss a fence?

I’m curious what others think though? Have any of you gotten by with a portable band saw for the occasional wood project? Or would I be better-served with a bench top saw and trying to make it work for the more-common metal cutting?

My understanding is that those portable band saws are mainly used by people doing plumbing to cut pipes in tight quarters. I don't own one. I do own two "wood" bandsaws: an old Craftsman 10" benchtop and a full sized Jet 14". I use the 10" with a high tooth blade to do fine "scrolling" work and also to cut aluminum and thin metal on occasion. Haven't tried it on thicker steel. Not sure it could handle it. I'm guessing the full sized one could handle it but it would require a blade change from the resaw blade I keep on there.

I've only seen those portables used as a power hacksaw to cut metal rods & stuff.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

There are two kinds of portable band saws. the small, slow speed, hand held one ones for metal. The other type is a post mounted flexible mount type for cutting ship timbers. I think they really need two people to control them safely. The wood has to be heavy enough it will not move when cut, preferably already attached to a ship in drydock.
    Bill D

Have a PC PortaBand, 2 DeWalt 18v Bandsaws and used a Milwaukee 12v Band saw. Brother has a Milwaukee deep band saw 120vac. Also have 10", 14", 18" stationary bandsaws in the shop.
    Would not be without one, would not want to get by with only one, as each one can do something better than the rest.
    Have never used a stand for the Portables, thought about one, just never wanted one enough to buy one.
    The battery powered ones and the 14" stationary get used the most for what I do.
    Really need to define what you are using them for, then decide, as one will not do it all.
    Start out with which ever one meets what you are doing now, add the others as needed or great deals show up.
    Good luck
    Ron
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 06-15-2021 at 10:46 AM. Reason: punctuation

What exactly do you want to do with one? I have them from 12v handheld, to 24", and horizontal ones for cutting metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    What exactly do you want to do with one? I have them from 12v handheld, to 24", and horizontal ones for cutting metal.
    Honestly: I think 75% of it will be quick metal cuts that I currently do with a grinder: cutting bolts down to size, cutting down metal brackets, cutting Hanging Rods for clothes.

25% might be notching out some wood, or shaping smaller wood pieces (work that I probably would use a jig-saw and sander for)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wayland View Post
    Honestly: I think 75% of it will be quick metal cuts that I currently do with a grinder: cutting bolts down to size, cutting down metal brackets, cutting Hanging Rods for clothes.

25% might be notching out some wood, or shaping smaller wood pieces (work that I probably would use a jig-saw and sander for)
    Based on this I would buy whatever brand Portaband matched my batteries.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wayland View Post

As long as your fine with running a really slow speed for cutting your wood, then one of these small portable saws should be fine. Metal cutting saws typically run around 100 - 200 fpm, whereas wood cutting band saws run 3000 - 3500 fpm. Also the blades for metal cutting are typically around 18 tpi, and the wood cutting blades are much coarser and could probably not be used successfully for cutting steel. But for small occasional cuts the slow speed and metal cutting blade will definitely cut wood.
    David
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 06-15-2021 at 4:58 PM.

I have the small M12 non Fuel. It is limited in the throat and can only do say a 1 5/8" diameter pipe. Does everything I need done for bolts and rods. Want to make a small table for mine simply to cut at a 90*. The new Milwaukee M12 Fuel Bandsaw, is 2.5 " and the m18 Fuel version is 3 1/4". The corded Milwaukee goes up to 5". If you want to try one out The Harbor Freight is only around $129 - 20% coupon. It is 5" capacity as well. Dan

I have a deep Milwaukee AC portaband.

It cuts pipe, Unistrut, angle iron, threaded rod etc.

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    I have the small M12 non Fuel. It is limited in the throat and can only do say a 1 5/8" diameter pipe. Does everything I need done for bolts and rods. Want to make a small table for mine simply to cut at a 90*. The new Milwaukee M12 Fuel Bandsaw, is 2.5 " and the m18 Fuel version is 3 1/4". The corded Milwaukee goes up to 5". If you want to try one out The Harbor Freight is only around $129 - 20% coupon. It is 5" capacity as well. Dan
    I was looking at the M12 fuel myselfnly because it’s one-handed…. But I also have my eyes set on the Makita battery powered one (not brushless), as it’s on sale currently… and has a larger opening (I have both Makita and M12 batteries)