Thread: Wood table and temperature

Wood table and temperature

I have a client who has approved the attached drawing for a table with benches in their porch. The porch is covered but not heated (Chicago). She like Walnut for the wood. I've drawn it with a 4 inch apron and 2 - 4 inch cross members to provide stability. Attach top to this frame with figure 8's. Legs are to be metal (from Symmetry) and screwed to the top. I think this is all good (but you'll let me know!). I'm a little worried about this being 'outside'. It won't get rain or snowed on but we have quite a temperature variation in Chicago. My little bit of reading tells me that wood 'moves' more due to moisture than it does temperature. I plan to finish with Waterlox.

Walnut ok?
    Other wood?
    Other finish?

Thanks as usual.

-ScottScreen Shot 2021-06-15 at 6.41.24 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-15 at 6.42.22 AM.png

If it's out of the weather all will be well if you follow your plan.

John

Agreed, seasonal temperature doesnt have too much to do with things. I would make sure it cant get rained on. Direct exposure to rain/snow will do a number on the wood top.

One thing to keep in mind, the sun. A dark wood in direct sun in the summer can cause glue joints to fail. i dont have any experience with the plastic resin glues, but might be worth speaking to the manufacturer on different scenarios.

I live in Central IL, rain can come sideways here, and you live in the windy city. So I'd definitely plan on water. I hope you are planning on an exterior Waterlox product, not traditional Waterlox. Quarter sawn walnut would be my cut of choice. Cuts way down on movement.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 06-15-2021 at 8:27 PM.

Outside, the Walnut will be amber to pumpkin orange within 9-18 months due to direct sun exposure. Especially if using an oil-based finish.

Just checked - yes the table will experience bright sun in the afternoons. So NO to Walnut. Maybe a lighter wood such as Maple? I've had blotching problems with maple in the past so if Maple, what finish might be good?
    Scott

I recently saw a handsome walnut chair. The unique color is due to living in direct sunlight.
    IMG_6281.jpg