Thread: Bandsaw Dust Port Loose

Bandsaw Dust Port Loose

My dust collector is a little too powerful for the friction fit hose that I connect to the bandsaw. It forever pops loose.
    I can drill and rig up a cotter pin to lock it in place, but thought I would first ask:

Do you have this problem and how have you dealt with it?

Hmm! My dust collector sucks the hose tighter on each of the machines it connects to.

I don’t use much stuff from Rockler, but have found their Dust Right fittings to work very well for moving my single hose between machines. The fittings with a Fernco style end (might actually be Fernco?) help with adaptability as well.
    earl

Most of my machines are hard plumbed, but I use this on the jointer/planer since it's easier to flip the collection hood when changing modes if the hose is disconnected. Works fine for me.

clamp.jpg

I got mine at woodcraft but other places sell them.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I’d use Magport if the weren’t so expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    My dust collector is a little too powerful for the friction fit hose that I connect to the bandsaw. It forever pops loose.
    I can drill and rig up a cotter pin to lock it in place, but thought I would first ask:

Do you have this problem and how have you dealt with it?
    I don't have this problem but I secure lots of PVC fittings by pressing them tight, drilling two or three holes around the circumference, and driving in sheet metal screws. These hold well and unlike glue, can be easily removed if needed.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    A little piece of electrical tape on the "male" end should give you enough friction when the "female" end slips over it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Sorry I should have been more clear. It's a friction fit quick connect port on the hose that plugs into the female metal port under my bandsaw table. I have a single-tool set up. The hose is a flex hose that snakes across the floor. When the dc is on, the hose compresses and the weight of it is often too much for the friction at the port. I have shimmed it tighter with tape for years, but I was looking for a better solution that wont require repair every couple months.

Sorry I should have been more clear. It's a friction fit quick connect port on the hose that plugs into the female metal port under my bandsaw table. I have a single-tool set up. The hose is a flex hose that snakes across the floor. When the dc is on, the hose compresses and the weight of it is often too much for the friction at the port. I have shimmed it tighter with tape for years, but I was looking for a better solution that wont require repair every couple months.
    Ah, that makes sense. In that case, if I didn't want to drill holes and insert a pin I might try some "super" velcro. I've bought this several times ( https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00347A8GM) but I used a similar product is available at Home Depot.

If you haven't used it, it is not normal hook and loop product. Both halves are the identical with a forest of strong plastic pins they call "dual lock" technology. Assuming there is some smooth surface available on the part that plugs in, I might fasten a couple of small pieces onto that, a couple on the metal bandsaw port, then make some connector pieces (I'd use aluminum) that bridge the gap.

The adhesive on this stuff is incredible. I've used it to hold a number of things I needed to stay put but could be removed if necessary. I recently used it on several SSD drives to mount inside computers when I didn't have the right carrier. I cut little pieces about 1/2" square and even this small size will hold a lot.

Another solution might be to tie a nylon cord or thin wire cable around the hose just past the fitting (if that is possible) and put a hook on the end to hook it somewhere on the saw.

Blog Entries
    Ah, the old auto-shortening-hose trick, eh? With the exception of my track saw hose (a Rockler offering that is pretty meh) I have eliminated any hoses that collapse under vacuum. I totally understand that hoses that do this have their place and are an advantage. The challenge now is to find a method that will work for the bandsaw and not un-work for the other machines you move this hose between.

I have clamped very short sections of hose to non-conforming ports adn then added a conforming fitting to that short stub creating an "adapter".

G0513X-DC-Add 005.jpg

The picture does not show exactly what I am talking about but, may give you an idea. A short hose section attached to the bandsaw permanently with a fitting that fits your movable hose end well(?).

Ah! Here's a better example:

Sander Pics for Larry (10).jpg

The built in port on this Jet was just enough too big to make my QR fitting fail . . . repeatedly. I took another fitting and even sanded it to a more pronounced taper. The friction fit is now pretty tenacious.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-16-2021 at 9:16 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

While the MagPorts are a little expensive, they work really well. I have one each on my bandsaw, router table, jointer/planer, and drum sander, with of course an additional one at the end of the single flex hose I use for those machines. All of mine are the 5" version, which costs a little more than the 4" and is not available in any kind of bundled starter pack.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I was at Steve's the other day and looked at those MagPorts...very kewel product.. Given I'm going to be having to do the "move the DC tool to tool" dance for awhile, I'm VERY seriously considering the MagPort setup to make that a lot smoother. I haven't looked at the Rockler stuff yet...I don't typically buy from them and "forget" they have some options, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...