Thread: Muddler finish

Muddler finish

I tried searching the forum but did not really find anything. What do you use as a finish on your muddlers
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."

I have used salad bowl finish, walnut oil and a cutting board wax oil mix. All seem to work well but need to be occasionally renewed. Mineral oil works in a pinch. I think the main thing is to not use a finish the builds a hard surface that would crack or delaminate.

Bob Flexner claims that all finishes are food safe once they have fully cured but I find it's easier to tell the recipient that I've used a food safe finish rather than needing to cite his book.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/f...e-best-finish/
    RD

OK,what is a muddler?
    Wally

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Wenzel View Post
    OK,what is a muddler?
    It's basically a wooden dowel used to crush or mix. Often the 'working end' of the muddler will be larger, or have a mushroom shape. You'll see them used frequently to crush mint when making a mint julep or similar mixed drink. However, they're also used for gently mixing things on the stove, such as oatmeal or a stew. The advantage of a muddler over a spoon is it is less likely to cause a spill.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona