Thread: WTB Veritas Scraping Plane

WTB Veritas Scraping Plane

I missed out on one of these and didn't really know it existed and I would really like to try one because regular scrapers are not compatible with my damaged thumbs.

Or I can wait until September, but I thought I'd check here. I'm not that interested in other scraping planes, because I know a guy who can help me setup this one in particular, but I am open to persuasion otherwise.

Which one, Jen? Large or small? I've tried fettling and using the large one, and I for one still like my old Stanley much better. Just saying...

You can also shop for cabinet scrapers. These are thumb savers and can be more versatile than a scraper plane by virtue of a shorter sole.

Veritas makes one and it appears to have a shorter back order time. Stanley 80s should be easy to come by used. In fact these are fairly simple tools so even other versions like wood river and my Wilton will work fine.

SMC is so awesome. I'm going to buy one from a creeker, but if for some reason it doesn't work well for me, I will try these other less costly options! Thanks for helping me learn more about the scraper family.

Did you find one if not let me know

Hi Jim, yes I got one. Not sure how to mark this closed.

I think you have to contact a moderator have a great day

Hi Jen,

I have LV large scraper and it is a bit fiddly to use as a scraper. But there are a couple good YT videos out there. That said, I love the plane with the fine toothing blade as it is an idiot proof way to flatten a surface which then requires relatively little scraping.

Best of luck.
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra