Thread: Can Anyone Identify this Logo?

Can Anyone Identify this Logo?

Can anyone identify the company behind this partial logo? It's from an old drawknife.

Looks like the bottom says "Illinois"

Mike

Drawknife-01.jpg
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Greenlee. would be my guess.

Not identical but close enough for me to think its the same company.

$_57.JPG_5ab4c22c94d318.22536762[1].jpg

Looks like they changed the logo from time to time.
    s-l1600[1].jpg

Okay, you've all made a good case for Greenlee. Greenlee is a good brand. Thanks for the very quick responses.

The drawknife has a lot of rust on it. I have it soaking in Evaporust right now. I may try to make new handles for it. I found a site that showed how to do that. I'll have to decide on what wood to use. Maybe cherry.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The drawknife has a lot of rust on it. I have it soaking in Evaporust right now. I may try to make new handles for it. I found a site that showed how to do that. I'll have to decide on what wood to use. Maybe cherry.
    Mike

Mike, what is the site? I have couple of drawknifes the could use new handles.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Flowers View Post

Mike, what is the site? I have couple of drawknifes the could use new handles.

Robert
    That's a good question, Robert. I'll have to go see if I can find it again. It was a blog of a well known woodworker.

Anyway, here is what he said.

Start by splitting the old handles to remove them. Then push the bottom dish upward and hammer the tang metal square so that you can remove the dish.

Turn a new handle on your lathe with attention to the shape and size of the tang. Be careful not to make your new handle too long.

Before putting it together, use a torch and heat the part where you hammered and let it cool slowly to anneal the iron which might be work hardened from your previous hammering.

Put your handles on, with the dishes, and peen the steel of the tang to hold it on.

That's it.

The draw knife I got is in rusted condition and the handles aren't too good so I'm going to try it.

Mike

Mike, I recall that Pete Galbert had a three part blog entry on drawknife handle replacement, so it may have been him.

I have rehabbed a bunch of drawknives and I would add one additional step to your directions. The tips of the tangs have been work hardened when they were originally peened, so it is best to heat them prior to reshaping them to remove the butt cap. Then they will need to be reheated as you state prior to re-peening.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Thanks John - good suggestion. That may have been in the instructions on the web site and I forgot it. I was going from memory when I wrote that.

I've started work on my drawknife. I have one handle off and I'll turn a new one and install it before I do the second. That way, I can look at the second on if I have any questions as I work the first. I'll let you know how it comes out.

I'll probably make the new handles just a bit shorter so I know that I have enough metal on the tang to peen.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-14-2021 at 5:53 PM.