Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You Know You're Getting Old When…

when you contribute to a thread titled You Know You're Getting Old When...
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Yes, there is a lot of similitude, but computers copy each other. Saves a lot of money on advertising, tv used to be full of car ads.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Yes, there is a lot of similitude, but computers copy each other. Saves a lot of money on advertising, tv used to be full of car ads.
    There is even vehicle placement advertising in the actual programs.

Currently one reason there aren't as many car ads as in the past could be due to dealers having difficulty keeping cars, new or used, in stock.

You know your getting old when a new truck cost more than your first house.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The payments on my first 'car', a loaded 4x4 Chevy pickup, were more than the mortgage on my parent's house, purchased 6 years earlier. The house they didn't think they'd be able to afford. Which now sits on a couple million dollars worth of dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    There is even vehicle placement advertising in the actual programs.

Currently one reason there aren't as many car ads as in the past could be due to dealers having difficulty keeping cars, new or used, in stock.

You know your getting old when a new truck cost more than your first house.

jtk
    A new truck cost more than either of my first two houses sold for and more than I paid for BOTH houses. Actually not far away from what I paid for the house I live in now and it was bought new from the builder in a development in town.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    A new truck cost more than either of my first two houses sold for and more than I paid for BOTH houses. Actually not far away from what I paid for the house I live in now and it was bought new from the builder in a development in town.
    Ron
    You know you're old when you remember buying any house.

Not as many car ads? I must be watching the wrong TV channels! Right now cable TV is riddled with FOUR ads:
    Cars for sale
    Car insurance for sale
    Car extended-warranty's for sale
    Every new prescription drug known to man...

and-- you know you're old when this was normal stuff on TV
    Smokem.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

When your doctor's significantly younger than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Sorry folks, but putting a car away for 40 years will only guarantee that it’ll be junk when you go to sell it.
    That Plymouth that was buried in Arizona in 1957 (if memory serves) was a brand new, time capsuled rotted out piece of junk.
    Most cars need to be maintained and run to be viable.
    Better off buying stock in the company.
    Now me, I know I’m getting old because as I try and raise our 105th child (foster), while the wife and I are in our 70s, I keep on saying “I could never have spoken that way to an adult, more and more”.
    Look up the 71 Hemicuda convertible, then and now. Just any car yes, but if you picked the right car$$$. Also who in their right mind would bury a car and expect it to be OK? Of course they need to be maintained. On the other hand the fund I was invested in just disappeared one day, so if I had it in a car I would have been further ahead.

Funny, I know a guy in Las Vegas who has a '71 Hemi Cuda convertible. Or HAD the last time I talked with him which was several years ago. He's not an old guy so pretty sure it's still making him money. And no it's not rusting away
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

know enough people with those type of cars, they dont talk about the value. When you can order and get a GT40 your other cars over 100k dont matter that much.

If its a ferrari GTO think the last one sold for70 Million and think a friend detailed one that was towards 50 Mil at Barret before that one. I guess its like Andy Worhal paintings and some others.

I have noticed recently I am frequently using the phrase " I can remember .....(fill in the blank).... but that was last century.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

When reading “you know your old threads” just deepens your depression.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Sorry folks, but putting a car away for 40 years will only guarantee that it’ll be junk when you go to sell it.
    That Plymouth that was buried in Arizona in 1957 (if memory serves) was a brand new, time capsuled rotted out piece of junk.
    Most cars need to be maintained and run to be viable.
    Better off buying stock in the company.
    Now me, I know I’m getting old because as I try and raise our 105th child (foster), while the wife and I are in our 70s, I keep on saying “I could never have spoken that way to an adult, more and more”.

Just storing it any old way is sure death. Burying it in an unsealed concrete vault is surer death. That's what was done in Tulsa. Beautiful 57 Plymouth turned to rust by extreme humidity.
    On the other hand, I knew of a Chevy dealer that had several 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s cars stored in a barn, concrete floor with vapor barrier. They all brought premium prices at his estate auction.

That's no way to enjoy classics, IMNSHO.

Blog Entries
    That's no way to enjoy classics, IMNSHO.
    Sometimes a walk out to my shop just to look around for a few minutes brings back memories of the rust hunts and estate sales where many of my tools were found. Though there may not have been a smile on my face when entering. There is almost always a smile on my face when exiting.

Maybe it is the same for someone with a barn filled with classic cars. Just being able to sit behind the wheel and roll down the window may transport them to a place that can not be found on the open road.

Hopefully some of my children or grandchildren will enjoy using my tools. If not hopefully they will enjoy the money they earn by selling them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)