Thread: Old Stanley Miter Box

Old Stanley Miter Box

As I repair, fabricate parts for and assemble a 1920s 2xx series ,18", did they come with a second stop/cushion spring ? I couldn't make out from the Blackburn reprint. TNX

Each of the 4 brass "stops" can be used as a depth stop....Stanley only supplied one spring, usually on the front left rod....the brass collar below that, is set so with the spring, you can set how far above the deck the saw will stop at...and NOT cut into the deck. You COULD add a second spring in back....has to be set up the same as the one in front....spring is there to soften the landing when you release the saw from the keepers at the top of the guide rods.
    The Glue Up, Miter saw.JPG
    This is my No. 358 Stanley....I do have a 246 box in the shop.....can get a photo or two, if you want...

Details...Happened to be using the 358 this morning, making 90 degree cuts..
    Miter box, spring front.JPG
    Front spring is on the left side only. The right side is the depth of cut stop, for when I am not cutting all the way through....like for tenons...
    Miter box, Back spring.JPG
    This is the spring at the back...can be any spring that will fit over the rods, and is about the same height as the front spring. Again, the right side stop is adjusted as needed for depth of cuts, like the front one. All four have set screws, loosen them to slide the stop where needed..tighten back up. Double check the settings with the saw bottomed out in the guides.

Just checked my other Stanley....it is an early model 346....

Thank you. this box is not a collector's piece, it is missing it's tag on the side and it has brassed up post holders. I'm retapping for 10 24 NC screws where they are missing. Stanley and their 1800s idea of standard screws, chuckle. I've made the 4th stop out of a 3/8" collar. The rods are 7/16th. I have 5"x 26" Shurly Detrich Atkins (sp) saw for it. I used a 1960s Stanley # 60 on a 1930s community hall volunteer job . Though it got a tune-up before use, I found the 24" saw was short, and the box a bit rattly. I could carry it, easily. Try that with a SCMS saw.