Thread: Raspberries today

Raspberries today

I picked these a little while ago.

raspberries_6_12_2021.jpg

The red and yellow plants I put in last year are producing like crazy.
    The wild red raspberries are not far behind.
    The wild black raspberries I've been picking for weeks are about to run out.
    Cultivated and wild blackberries are developing.
    Still picking s few strawberries. The blueberries are about to come on. Apples, peaches, and pears are on schedule for later. Had a great crop of cherries this year.

Good fun in East TN.

BTW. a friend of mine makes tables, stools, stovetop covers, cutting boards and such by gluing various woods. Legs and stretchers are all Pau Marfim, light color, very dense, fine grain. He inlays various things such as these dragonflies. Sells every single thing he doesn't give away. I think he's about 85 now.

JKJ

You have good friends and a good life.

Nice! I would be in berry heaven! How do those yellow and red taste?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Nice! I would be in berry heaven! How do those yellow and red taste?
    They are fantastic! Sweeter and more flavor than the wild berries. Two raspberry cobblers yesterday, with this she's making a raspberry or respberry basil sauce to put on fresh panna cotta served with fresh berries on top. That's what we first had in a castle restaurant on top of a mountain in Italy a few years ago.

I’ve got about a month or more before my wild blackberries ripen here I’m IN.

I'm a few latitudes North.

Our berries are two months away.

I haven't even seen the bushes flower yet. When they do produce berries they draw in the black bears so I usually cut them down in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I haven't even seen the bushes flower yet. When they do produce berries they draw in the black bears so I usually cut them down in the spring.
    Hmmm… Mine draw in friends and grandsons!

I finally saw bees on my early bearing raspberry blossoms yesterday, and the robins are eating my honeyberries before they are sweet enough for me to consider again this year. The good news is I have enough dandelion in the yard for the bees to be in the area and notice my raspberry blooming; and my serviceberry are so far free of blight this year. The bad news is I will need some kind of birdnetting on my honeyberry next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    I finally saw bees on my early bearing raspberry blossoms yesterday, and the robins are eating my honeyberries before they are sweet enough for me to consider again this year. The good news is I have enough dandelion in the yard for the bees to be in the area and notice my raspberry blooming; and my serviceberry are so far free of blight this year. The bad news is I will need some kind of birdnetting on my honeyberry next year.
    I have to put bird netting on the blueberries every year or the birds here will get fat and unhealthy. It doesn't take much draped over the top to discourage them. I try not to let any hang close the the ground since it can trap snakes.

We don't have service berries or honeyberries (I don't even know what they are) but I'm just now picking blueberries and wild blackberries in addition to a the abundant supply of raspberries. The wild black raspberries are about gone and the wild red raspberries are about to come it. The cultivated thornless blackberries are just about to ripen. We have few dandelions for some reason but huge areas of clover everywhere which keep the bees busy.

On a happy note, the fig bushes/trees wiped out by the late freeze are coming back with a vengeance. Yesterday I noticed dozens of tiny figs on the biggest plant.

And for those who love nature, the synchronous fireflies are back now. I saw the first solitary ones the first week of June and now there are enough to put on a synchronized display. A wonder I'll never get tired of.

JKJ