Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3520 possible future problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    . TVs are full of circuit boards yet there is no recommendation to unplug when not in use and if routine surges are damaging why would it not not happen when the device is in use?
    You have to compare apples to apples.
    IMO your (my) TV is a shelf life item. In 3 tears, your TV is old and out dated, it will probably break down and need replacement in 5 years. If you were to unplug the TV, you would need to reprogram everything. I had a TV that required servicing and every time I had to reprogram everything. So no, I'm not unplugging my TV. I think brown outs are more common than surges, and I have had both happen to my TV, long time ago. No damage, but the TV obviously didn't like it. Made funny squealing noises when not enough voltage, and the surge protector I assume, saved the TV since it tripped. It does happen. If I recall, both (and only 2) things happened close together. I guess the power company was having some issues.

I open the circuit breaker for my lathe after every use. May not protect from a lightning surge. Maybe I should also unplug it. It takes just a few seconds to do either.
    Just my $0.02.

You always seem to hit the nail smack dab on the head john
    Not to mention you do it with such comic relief

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Analysis paralysis is an inability to make a decision due to over-thinking a problem. An individual or a group can have too much data. The result is endless wrangling over the upsides and downsides of each option, and an inability to pick one.”

For the 12 years I have been turning, I habitually unplug my lathe when I leave the shop. I don’t know if it is “required” or even if it is “advisable.” But, it just seems to be a guaranteed preventative measure that has no cost and is 100% effective. I honestly am amused at this debate and have enjoyed seeing it develop. For comedic interest, I suggest including reasons for “not unplugging.” That data will no doubt add considerable interest!

My power went out suddenly today. Twice! It's a heat wave here and 110° currently. I'm glad to have left my Laguna 2436 unplugged and it wasn't affected. While out still now I went and unplugged the rest of my tools. Didn't really expect an outage in June...

I have a VFD on my new old drill press, and I only plug it in when I am going to use it, and then unplug it afterward. It seems cheaper than buying a DPDT switch, and not much harder than flipping a switch if I had one. The plug is right next to my Shopsmith which has a couple of holes in the frame that are for a function I don't use, so it's easy to drop the plug into the hole and then it's only about a foot from the power strip when I want to plug it in. I also put a plastic bag over the VFD when I am not using it, to keep dust out.

I'm no electrician and, therefore, I don't know all the issues with power surges, lightning strikes, and power outages.

I do know, however, how much the 3502C just cost me and also know that replacement of the VFD (which I believe is the black box on the backside of the headstock which is connected to the outlet) costs $1,200. I also don't wish to get into a drawn out struggle with Powermatic to get an expensive part replaced under warranty.) I also know that I had to replace my electronic controller on my Nova midi-lathe (which I know isn't the same as the Powermatic VFD). I could never prove nor disprove the cause of this. I also don't know if damage can still occur even if the power switch is turned off but the plug is still in the outlet. I just know there is no reason to take the chance that damage might occur from a storm or other power surge. While there is no reason to unplug every time there is a brief rest before using the lathe again, I do unplug each day when I am done. Just because electronics in your home survived a nearby lightning strike once doesn't mean that it will again. Plus, surges can weaken devices for later failure.

Researching this, I found a variety of answers (as we all do these days on the internet). From that, I could draw no solid conclusion and just decided to unplug when not in use.
    Last edited by Randy Heinemann; 06-28-2021 at 12:52 PM.