Thread: Old Shopsmith vacuum attachments

Old Shopsmith vacuum attachments

I have two very old Shopsmith vacuums that I think we're made by Shop-Vac in the early 80's. The problem I am having is finding replacement parts that fit the poor old hose. Attached is a picture of what I am looking for. Every supplier as you know has their own different dimensions which makes it impossible to fit any of them. I have every Rockler adapter and none of them fit what I need at any time. I only have one good one of these left. This one is super glued to take a picture. The swival is now glued! It has a left hand thread to screw on to the 1 1/2" hose and a 1 1/4" od for attachments.

Do any of you know of a magic website that has figured out what everyone needs that has some idea how to match!!!! Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Kelly
    _________
    ShopBot Benchtop with 4G Upgrade
    Small Homemade CNC
    Sherline CNC Mill
    Aspire 4.5
    AutoCAD
    CorelDraw

Have you checked with Shopsmith directly? There is also a forum you can access through the website where you can ask the community directly.

Thanks. Yes I did Al. I even sent them this picture showing the manufacturers label. They had no idea what it was.ShopMate label.jpg

They didn't have anything to sell me at any rate.
    Mike Kelly
    _________
    Small Homemade CNC
    Sherline CNC Mill
    Aspire 4.5
    AutoCAD
    CorelDraw

20180808_165927.jpg

I have even upgraded it with an Oneida Dust Deputy. It collapsed the Rockler Dust Separator and broke the lid. It made an expensive garbage bin after that.
    Mike Kelly
    _________
    Small Homemade CNC
    Sherline CNC Mill
    Aspire 4.5
    AutoCAD
    CorelDraw

I have bought the stacked type from Peachtree, they fit ok on the shop vac I have, but the piece that looks about right for my track saw (Makita) turned out to be the same size rather than fitting over or inside the saw fitting. One piece did fit inside the saw fitting, but the other side of the fitting was the same size as the saw.

Peachtree stack is separate pieces of hard plastic. I have also seen one that Woodcraft carries, made of flexible rubber. Hoping it might work, but have not been to a WC store to see.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 06-14-2021 at 12:01 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I accidentally found it on Amazon. "Replacement for Shop Vac Hose End Coupling Vacuum Cleaner 1 1/4" Wand Stub #88-1324-04" and it was $6.28. The hard part was cutting out the old worn out part from inside the semi flexible hose end part. It is a press fit after removing the old part. A little 3 in one oil and a tap from a 2x4 inserted it. What a chore. I bought 3 more of them! Just in case I live long enough. I do have a second hose at my house for the one I got at a garage sale for $25. It was probably 20 years old at that time but never used. The cloth dust filter was still inside the drum but never attached....
    Mike Kelly
    _________
    Small Homemade CNC
    Sherline CNC Mill
    Aspire 4.5
    AutoCAD
    CorelDraw

We have a winner.

I have been a shopsmith owner off and on since my Dad and I each bought one at the Fair in the late 70's. I have the DC 3000(?) collector/vac, and use it all the time, but I have never heard of the one you have. It must be pretty rare now. I assume SS just made a deal with Shop Vac to label it.

Why it has oddball fittings must be another story.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Yes Rick. This came before your dust system. It did a pretty good job with the 2 1/2” hose keeping up with a jointer or planer. It has a 6.5 amp motor and was my go to before my Oneida. The small hose was unique to Shop Vac I guess. It works real well with normal dust and vacuumable stuff. I use Kirby attachments that are still available on eBay.