Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combo jointer / planer recommendation

Combo jointer / planer recommendation

Wondering the community thoughts on recommendations on jointer/planer combo machines. I was leaning heavily toward the Hammer A3 41, but started reading about some qa/qc issues over the last year or so. Then started looking at the SCM Minimax FS 41C with the Teresa blades, but having trouble getting feedback from a local supplier. I know CWI out of Winnipeg has a model as well but not sure on quality. I am located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

I have a newer A3-31 and like it. No quality issues and it works like a dream. I have the Silent Power head and it produces a great finish.

Patrick, I have a Hammer A3-31 as well. It has performed flawlessly over the 7 years I have had it. Changed a few carbide inserts in the “silent head”, which is really pretty quiet. Change over is pretty stress-free.

If you go for one, make sure you also order the digital gauge with it.

I have not found that the bed extensions are needed, and mine runs without them.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I could be happy with Hammer/Felder or SCM/Minimax...all good machines that do what they do. I own the latter and love Tersa. I do wish I had bought the larger 410mm machine, but at the time, I got a smokin' deal on the 350mm machine. (no longer made)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am in the group of new A3-41 owners (thread earlier this year when the container arrived stateside), and after a visit by a Felder tech to do the initial setup, my machine is amazing. Some come dialed in perfect from the factory, some don’t. Mine was the latter but the tech got it where it should be. Get the dial indicator whatever you do. Well worth it. No quality issues for my machine. I will say wax them beds very well. Then wax them again.

Another pleased A3-41 owner here. No problems at all with the machine which was dialed in and ready to go right out of the well built crate.
    I did not get the dial indicator with it but it is on the soon to list. Leaves a very smooth, ready for 120 grit right off the machine.
    You will love the 16" capacity and power.

This comes up all the time. There has to be some discussion on the search function. I found at least 8 and stopped counting.

ill be the odd guy here with old SCM stuff. 60 year old machines 1,280 lbs. Prefer heavier machines. Added bonus they came from the two best cabinetmakers I knew.

Had my Hammer A3-31, from new, for about 3 years now.

Was perfectly dialed in as delivered, works great and is quiet in both jointing and especially planing compared to my old Dewalt 735.

This was my first woodworking tool that went over the $3K price tag, so I was a little apprehensive, but this was one of my best purchases.

The best machine for you may be the one you can actually acquire before 2023. Read about shipping times on big machines. They've gone crazy. For instance, read Eric Loza's post about Felder/Hammer machines.

Jamie makes a good point...as part of your research, check on lead times with each manufacturer for the machine(s) you are interested in as they are all good tools and the "tool in hand" is the best tool.
    --

12. I am very disappointed with Jet. I ordered a Jet JJP-12HH planer/jointer the first week of January and every time the estimated delivery date nears, they push it out again. The last date was June 12th and when I called Woodcraft, they just moved it out a month and a half to July 29th. I Ordered several pieces of equipment in January including a wood mill and every other manufacturer (Woodland Mills, Saw Stop, JessEm) has been able to hit their estimated time within a few weeks.

There are still a lot of cargo ships sitting off the left coast and waiting to be unloaded in addition to manufacturing challenges. Either or both of those factors...and other reasons...are what's causing these delays.
    --

I have a MM FS30 Smart. The Tersa head is great, but make sure your tables are flat before you sign off.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    I have a MM FS30 Smart. The Tersa head is great, but make sure your tables are flat before you sign off.
    That’s probably good advice for any brand. My FS30 was good to go right out of the box. I really like the Tersa head as well.