Thread: Stanley #75 Bullnose Rebate Plane

Stanley #75 Bullnose Rebate Plane

Another door and this little plane bailed me out, again. I'm getting down right fond of this little under appreciated plane. The first time I screwed up my measurements when I replaced a kicked in hollow core door with a solid core and from two to three hinges. The door was a bit tight against the jamb on the hinge side . It was for my wife's rock and gem workshop,they were in the basement. But my wife's rock and gem club lost their lease when the community association sold out. With no hall rent income with Covid restrictions, , the association folded. The rock and gem club found another hall basement, a coal bin room. Just Lovely. Instead of 95 year old hall, it's merely 89 years old. I'm practiced now. In keeping the character of the hall. I repaired the old door. It was made of cedar ! Just as well, it was a hair over 39". When I glued and epoxy filled the bottom hinge corner back together, the door ended up with a hook, chisel and the #75 fixed that. On the striker side it , the jamb was out by 3/8" out of plumb, again, chisel and finish up with the #75.

This time we were allowed and even encouraged to join the association. This time, we will be our own landlords.

Man, I'm glad it works so well for you! I have the Millers Falls version and I have never been able to get it to work well. Gotta be me, but I just cant get it set up right I guess. But good for you, for sure!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Underappreciated?

My #75 has been the 2nd most used plane I have right behind my #4 smoother. I've rarely used the bullnose position for the iron so no gushing about how wonderful that part is.

-Tom

Frederick, sometimes those things are used to fix the end of a bumpy piece of moulding that would be tossed...if you had anymore. When using them on already in place stuff ,it helps to first chisel the corner. But just removing the front of the plane can work,too. I think the
    Stanley version works best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Frederick, sometimes those things are used to fix the end of a bumpy piece of moulding that would be tossed...if you had anymore. When using them on already in place stuff ,it helps to first chisel the corner. But just removing the front of the plane can work,too. I think the
    Stanley version works best.
    Thanks Mel!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”