Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I cant fit anymore machines into my shop

I cant fit anymore machines into my shop

A recent shop tour of my workshop.

taken shortly after the arrival of my new spindle moulder

I dont think you can pack more machines into the space I have!

its 30 x 20, height is 106 inches.

Awesome shop Albert! The good news is that you have the added bonus of the garage doors being open to overflow, infeed space, etc. How is the weather there? Can you leave them open while you work most of the year if needed?

What are you typically building? Cabinetry or solid wood or both?

My shop is roughly the same size, but in a walkout basement with 83”-89” of headroom at the most and less in many places because of overhead duct work/support beams and many house-related obstacles to work around.

I am jealous of your large doors, flat slab, tall(er) ceilings, natural light and wide open floor plan without obstacles. One day I will get the nerve and energy to move everything from the basement to a less subterranean environment.

Thanks for sharing! The new SCM spindle moulder looks like a dream.
    Still waters run deep.

That is indeed an awesome shop Albert. How do you power everything in a residential setting like that? Residential 3ph service a common thing in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Awesome shop Albert! The good news is that you have the added bonus of the garage doors being open to overflow, infeed space, etc. How is the weather there? Can you leave them open while you work most of the year if needed?...

Thanks for sharing! The new SCM spindle moulder looks like a dream.
    Thanks Phillip! I am very fortunate that the doors opens so I can overflow when needed, weather is alright, average temp is 70 deg F. except in winter time it rains slightly more, our weather is very similar to South California.

I never made any cabinetry... 99% solid wood stuff, been doing this for 10 years, this is a hobby only as I have a daytime job, I started with a $99 mitre saw with absolutely no help from family or friends.

the Spindle moulder probably made any spindle moulder work faster by 100%. its automated and the pneumatic lock of the tooling really helps.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    That is indeed an awesome shop Albert. How do you power everything in a residential setting like that? Residential 3ph service a common thing in NZ?
    Thanks Peter! I have 63amp 3 phase/415v, for some unknown reason when this place was subdivided 20 years ago the line company put in 3 phase plinth at the boundary of every property.

I think if you request 100amp here they will start charge you a monthly fee? not sure as 63 amp is plenty for me. I can have the WBS (18.5kW), Compressor (7.5kW), extractor(5.5kW?) and lighting all going at the same time with no issues.

Unfortunately residential 3ph in North America is pretty uncommon and probably not even an option in most areas. As I understand it, 3ph power is typically distributed to local substations then made into three separate 1ph connections which are in turn run to groups of homes. It'd probably also generally be more complicated to install as you'd need more wires, triple pole breakers, additional terminations, types of plugs, etc.

That a Griggio Unica? Very lucky to have grabbed one prior to them going under.

You seem to have done a good job at making for functional workflow in the space you have available. That's always the key to a decent shop setup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Unfortunately residential 3ph in North America is pretty uncommon and probably not even an option in most areas. As I understand it, 3ph power is typically distributed to local substations then made into three separate 1ph connections which are in turn run to groups of homes. It'd probably also generally be more complicated to install as you'd need more wires, triple pole breakers, additional terminations, types of plugs, etc.

That a Griggio Unica? Very lucky to have grabbed one prior to them going under.
    yes thats Griggio Unica 400, 3800mm long carriage.. when I got it it was only 3 years old and barely used, guy closed his shop and only wanted $2000 USD for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You seem to have done a good job at making for functional workflow in the space you have available. That's always the key to a decent shop setup.
    Thanks Jim! its not ideal but I have to make do with what I have...

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    Thanks Jim! its not ideal but I have to make do with what I have...
    Trust me I understand, having just moved my equipment into my "temporary shop" that will have to do until I can get a building up here at our new property. And you have a bunch of bigger stuff than I do!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice setup! nice equipment, but the best of all is access to three phase power, that is great, that it what gives you the ability to have those machines. All round great setup.

I didnt connect the name, but you are on the FOG as well. Very nice shop. Laid out well, but even better equipped! I meant to ask you on FOG, but how is it actually working in that space? All the equipment fits, sure, but what about when you are building a king sized bed, or a dining room table? Im in a basement shop that is ok when its tidy and a project isnt in the works, but it quickly becomes a cluster when working on large projects. I remember i barely had enough open space to dry fit a king sized bed frame. I had inches to spare on all sides. It looks like you have the good fortune to spill out into the driveway when the weather is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I didnt connect the name, but you are on the FOG as well. Very nice shop. Laid out well, but even better equipped! I meant to ask you on FOG, but how is it actually working in that space? All the equipment fits, sure, but what about when you are building a king sized bed, or a dining room table? Im in a basement shop that is ok when its tidy and a project isnt in the works, but it quickly becomes a cluster when working on large projects. I remember i barely had enough open space to dry fit a king sized bed frame. I had inches to spare on all sides. It looks like you have the good fortune to spill out into the driveway when the weather is nice.
    Thanks Patrick, yes you are quite correct, the space is nice when no one works in it but when I start building stuff it quickly become a super mess.. not to mention when I have 2-3 jobs on the go... I do spill onto Driveway if I am finishing off bigger projects or have orders waiting to be picked up by freight trucks. double handling is very normal here in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    Thanks Patrick, yes you are quite correct, the space is nice when no one works in it but when I start building stuff it quickly become a super mess.. not to mention when I have 2-3 jobs on the go... I do spill onto Driveway if I am finishing off bigger projects or have orders waiting to be picked up by freight trucks. double handling is very normal here in my shop.

Ha, yes, i was embarrassed to admit the "multiple projects" thing too. Inevitably, i will be working on a piece of furniture for my wife and i and someone will contact me out of the blue asking for an island. Naturally, i find it hard to turn down the unsolicited money for not a lot of work, so i begin on the island. Every single time i curse everything under the sun, because the two projects at once makes it impossible to work in my tight space. Either the slider outrigger is hitting stacked parts, or parts are on the FAT300 cart that i want to use for outfeed support etc. Like you, i want 100 more tools in the next shop, but all i really need is space. Space is the next best tool i can buy. However, we arent ready to move yet, and so naturally i just purchased an Oliver 232D to try and jam next to my Felder saw. I will never learn.

In a few months, can you do a review of the SCMI shaper? Curious how good the perpendicular sliding table is for tenons, cope cuts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Ha, yes, i was embarrassed to admit the "multiple projects" thing too. Inevitably, i will be working on a piece of furniture for my wife and i and someone will contact me out of the blue asking for an island. Naturally, i find it hard to turn down the unsolicited money for not a lot of work, so i begin on the island. Every single time i curse everything under the sun, because the two projects at once makes it impossible to work in my tight space. Either the slider outrigger is hitting stacked parts, or parts are on the FAT300 cart that i want to use for outfeed support etc. Like you, i want 100 more tools in the next shop, but all i really need is space. Space is the next best tool i can buy. However, we arent ready to move yet, and so naturally i just purchased an Oliver 232D to try and jam next to my Felder saw. I will never learn.

In a few months, can you do a review of the SCMI shaper? Curious how good the perpendicular sliding table is for tenons, cope cuts etc.
    being where I am, floor space is the most expensive item in a workshop...

I will definitely do a review on the SCM shaper, the perpendicular sliding table is great, you can bring the stock to the cutter closer than front sliding table, also the sliding table is not in the way when you do profiles.