Thread: Three phase power for Maka Mortiser

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Three phase power for Maka Mortiser

So I brought home an awesome bench top Maka swing chisel mortiser. I値l post some pictures when I get it unloaded. It needs 3 phase power, which my garage shop doesn稚 have, so I知 looking for recommendations for a phase converter. The Maka has a 1.8 HP motor. Do you think I need a full rotary phase converter or can I get away with a digital converter? This is my first 3 phase tool, so I知 looking for any suggestions. The Maka came with a transformer to boost the voltage to 480 (I think).

Learn me Creekers!

I believe that Mr Holcomb is using a rotary phase converter for his Maka, although he's also running some other 3-phase tools. For a single tool application, VFDs are pretty popular.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Unless there’s something specific to the Maka that I’m unaware of, I would choose a VFD for this particular application unless you have active plans for other 3 phase machines...most of them will likely have larger motors than this. If you’re going through the expense of a rotary phase converter, from a bang for the buck perspective, it makes sense to size it for the biggest 3 PH machine you anticipate having to run. VFD for a single tool is simpler and cheaper to get up and running with one motor.

Does the Maka have more than one motor? I’m assuming it has a pneumatic requirement for some of the functions? You may already have it figured out, but you will want clean and dry air for this.

What model is your Maka? You might post a photo of your motor tag just for further clarity on motor electrical questions.

What are the specs on the transformer you acquired with it?
    Still waters run deep.

I think a vfd is a better fit since it will give you slow start and variable speed.
    Bill D

Keegan,

I would use an RPC for the Maka. The Maka motor cycles on and off for each mortise and might be tricky doing that control from a VFD.

Michael

Blog Entries
    I agree with Micheal, Use a Rotary, not sure how a VFD is going to deal with the machine痴 on/off cycles.

Once you start buying chisels, you値l forget all about how much the rotary costs
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 06-11-2021 at 8:20 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Once you start buying chisels, you値l forget all about how much the rotary costs
    Haha I think that might be true. Here's a couple of pictures. I plan to build a new stand that will house the transformer and RPC.

I'm guessing this is a Maka M6-11? It came with several 1/4" and 3/8" chisels which I think will cover the chairs and tables I have planned.

IMG-1489.jpg

Another question: the wet head appears to be leaking oil around the bottom seal. Any idea if this is a standard sized seal or if anyone still has NOS parts available? I have no idea what weight oil is supposed to be used.

IMG-1488.jpg

Hi, A rotary phase convertor is probably best as the others have said, due to the constant cycling on and off of the motor.
    This is one of the older machines with an oil head. so not a #II . The #II designation refers to the newer head with standard bearings.
    Your machine has an aluminum blade holder with a brass/bronze bushing and operates like a piston in a cylinder, which is filled with oil. The piston creates pressure in the head which pushes the oil out when things get worn.
    The cylinder seals are a standard metric seals.
    The seal # is on the seal, I may be able to find it for you. I will take a look tonight.
    The original lubricant is Marfak0 or Marfak00 It is a semi-liquid grease. One is heavier than the other. When the machine wears you can replace the original lighter-weight grease with the thicker one, i forget which is the thicker one. They are Texaco products, if you call Texaco they can tell you which one or offer a suitable substitute.

Texaco "Marfak 0" is a NLGI #0 using a SODIUM-soap thickener.
    Marfak 00 is a proven performance fibrous sodium soap greases. Their fibrous content offers protection from contaminants such as dust and dirt by helping provide a reliable seal.

Is that similar to cotton picker or cornhead grease which is easy to find?
    Bill D

Wow, thanks Mark!

I'll pick up some Mobile Grease XHP220 at Grainger and see if that solves the problem (FYI: Marfak 0 -> Mobilith AW0 -> Mobilgrease XHP 220). Looks like there is Chainsaw bar oil in the head now, so even if the seal is in great shape, it would probably still leak.

If the grease doesn't help, I'll look into replacing the seal. Good to know that they are a standard size.

Thanks for the input on the RPC also. I'm looking at the 5HP Pro Line model (PL-5) here: https://www.northamericaphaseconvert...se-converters/

Let me know if anyone has a preferred brand or has had a bad experience with the company above.

Well, I learned something here..."how the tool works" applies to choosing the power source, too. RPC does seem like the better route given what several folks indicate about the motor cycling.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well, scratch that. The smallest container of Mobilegrease XHP220 I can find is 35lbs

Looks like NLGI 2 viscosity grease is the thinnest available in tube form. I'll keep looking.

take a look at corn head grease or cotton spindle grease. comes in a tube is a 0 viscosity not certain how the rest matches up. used in agriculture gear boxes to slow/prevent leaks

Thanks Ron, I'll check it out.