Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stove/Range???

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    What is a good brand of oven and combo stove top gas heat, these days. Also what about dishwashers?? What are some brands to stay away from?? Thanks.
    I love my Bosch (800 series) dishwasher, but the voodoo controls are infuriatingly opaque. There are secret handshakes to get it to work to your satisfaction, but you have to learn them, and Bosch won’t tell you what they are.

I also have a Bosch (gas) cooktop, and I would never buy another one, they are an absolute chore to clean. IMO mediocre performance, all the control silkscreening has worn off, etc. A disposable appliance. I wish I’d gone with the KitchenAid, the demonstration of how easy they were to just wipe off has me sighing with nostalgia.

We got a Bosch gas convection range a few years ago. It works well, but does have some shortcomings. The oven takes a long time to pre-heat (compared to the GE it replaced) and I wish the control panel was backlit. It's a five burner configuration in a normal 30" width so that's pretty convenient. The center burner has great turndown ability and is perfect for long slow simmers.

We had a Bosch dishwasher installed yesterday after the old Kenmore gave it up. It has the same shortcomings that Paul mentions above (slow, no heated drying cycle, etc.) but it's all but silent. It's just the two of us so we don't often need a quick turn on dirty dishes. If we do we'll do them by hand. The appliance dealer told us it's the direction everyone is going now due to "Eco" pressures. I guess claiming you save energy is preferable to the thing actually working. To be fair, it works well. It just doesn't dry the dishes as quick.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

The Bosch dishwasher (800 series) I mentioned in my previous also didn't have any heated dry cycle...and I didn't miss it. They are using other techniques for energy savings. Yes, the drying isn't "fast", but it does do a reasonably good job. I agree that the controls were a little obtuse, but honestly, I found that the automatic/smart default wash to be extremely effective, including with pots and pans. I'll be buying another one to replace the ancient Kenmore that's in our new property when the opportunity comes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    I wish I’d gone with the KitchenAid, the demonstration of how easy they were to just wipe off has me sighing with nostalgia.
    Haha! Be careful what you wish for.

KitchenAid was once a solid brand, but that went away many years ago. Our last round of their appliances were just terrible & were replaced within 2 years. We still have the gas range, which was their top of the line model, but it's bad too. Extremely hard to clean & goes through ignitors like crap through a goose. The touch pad is fussy & won't register input if your fingers are damp. The biggest burner it has is only 14,000 BTU, which is mostly adequate, but not always. My daughter just replaced her top of the line KitchenAid dishwasher after 5 years & at least 7 repairs. Even the stand mixer, while performing wonderfully, has gone though 2 of the gears that engage with the armature. Ugh.

Unlike Jim, I miss the heated dry cycle in my Bosch. Cleaning with this unit is not better than other brands but it's adequate. I am a Frigidaire retiree and have all Frigidaire but the dishwasher. We are especially pleased with the washer and dryer (front load).

The dealer didn't have a higher featured Frigidaire dishwasher when we bought so we went for Bosch. The icemaker in the Frig. refrigerator sucks.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    The icemaker in the Frig. refrigerator sucks.
    That's pretty much almost universal regardless of the brand of fridge...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Before I retired all of the domestic mfrs bought their icemakers from the same outfit. I've been retired for 25 years so I'm not up to speed on the industry.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have a Kitchenaid Dishwasher that gets EVERYTHING clean, though the cycles are quite long. I like using the heated dry cycle, even though it is an energy hog. It is 6 years old and has been trouble free. The model number is KDTE304DBL0.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's pretty much almost universal regardless of the brand of fridge...
    If a refrigerator makes ice out the door, in particular, you should consider it a housewarming gift and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    I love my Bosch (800 series) dishwasher, but the voodoo controls are infuriatingly opaque. There are secret handshakes to get it to work to your satisfaction, but you have to learn them, and Bosch won’t tell you what they are.
    The one we got is the 300 Series with the full front console controls. Operation is really straightforward. I've always felt that if you needed special training to operate a home appliance then the product designers got it wrong.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    The one we got is the 300 Series with the full front console controls. Operation is really straightforward. I've always felt that if you needed special training to operate a home appliance then the product designers got it wrong.
    The high end brake rotors that Bosch sells are IMO seriously good. That shows that they can do something right. Another fail for the Bosch dishwashers is how they fix the unit to the enclosure. Whose idiot nephew designed that? It’s really poor, considering how much these things cost.

The Whirlpool refrigerator we got is model number WRF767SDHZ. The Frigidaire range is part number fggh3047vf.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    The Whirlpool refrigerator we got is model number WRF767SDHZ. The Frigidaire range is part number fggh3047vf.

Thank you. Will have a look.
    John T.