Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stove/Range???

Stove/Range???

What is a good brand of oven and combo stove top gas heat, these days. Also what about dishwashers?? What are some brands to stay away from?? Thanks.
    John T.

We bought a Frigidaire gas range/oven a few months ago. It's been a great unit - the oven has a fast preheat option that will preheat in a couple of minutes, and it has convection as well. The top is a gas range, which my wife really wanted, and it works great. The controls are at the front, so no reaching over a hot burner to get to them.

I bought all Frigidaire Gallery Professional appliances when I built the house. There was nothing wrong with the initial stove, other than it being electric and smooth-top, which my wife didn't like. We replaced the fridge because she wanted French doors on the refrigerator portion and drawers for the freezer. We initially bought another Frigidaire, but the ice maker was so bad we returned it and paid a little more for a Whirlpool, which makes tons of ice fast. The dishwasher and microwave, both Frigidaire, are still going strong after 18 years.

We like our Bosch dishwasher, very quiet and have 2 family members who have bought Bosch and like them.

+1 on the Bosch dishwasher. While shopping we were told by more than one salesperson that many different brands were actually made in the same factories. If you open the door and look at the interior detergent dispensing parts, they do start to look familiar.
    < insert spurious quote here >

+1 on Bosch dishwashers with Stainless steel liners.

If you must by a gas stove, a convection fan makes quick work of baking (often shaving 1/3 cooking time).

Recent experience with an inexpensive countertop Induction unit has me convinced it's better : less ventilation required, more even heat and *much* faster to reach optimal temps.

We have an LG refrigerator.
    The repair guy wasn't too kind about his opinion of LG in general all three times he had to come out to repair a 13 month old appliance under the warranty (an then the extended warranty).
    I have no idea how good/bad their other appliances are - but - I'm pretty much done with LG.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Just to note, waaay back beginning in my high school days, I was a cook at Denny's for a couple years, Sambo's for awhile, and a hotel restaurant for awhile, which means I like GAS cooking

We got this GE Cafe cooktop about 4 years ago-
    gecafe.jpg
    -We also got a GE electric oven, not sure the model but it's all touch controls, convection, basic good stuff -It works great, but convection baking is like nuclear in the thing, still getting used to time and temp adjusting!

Not sure GE sells the same stovetop any more, I can't find it for sale. The similar one they DO sell has straight grates and all the burners are at right-angles to each other, one we have the burners are slightly angled, and I like the shape of the grates better myself. That 'power boil' burner in the middle, ALL gas burners should work like it does, my pet peeve with many gas burners is the outward-only flame, can't heat the center of a pot or pan with all the flame going sideways? I have a small single-egg size pan to make egg-muffins with, just a hint of the big flame and all of the tiny center flame makes for a perfect medium-hard egg. Any other burner heats the outside of the pan only and burns the edges of the egg... I use that burner almost exclusively. Funny thing, the wife always uses the side burners, hardly ever the middle burner.

It also came with a nice beefy cast iron griddle that fits in place of the 2 left burner grates. The upper-left burner knob, once rotated past half-way, operates both burners at the same time in 'griddle mode'. My only complaint is, in griddle mode, the burner's high flame is barely above 'keep warm', so to actually cook on the thing I just use both burners independently. I've been going to break into it and see if I can adjust the flame setting but haven't gotten around to it -Awhile back I bought a cheap non-stick aluminum griddle, for grilled cheese's or garlic toast just crank up both burners and the bread's toasted nicely in just a couple minutes...

For a non-commercial unit, I have no real complaints at all, still works and looks like new--

As to dishwashers, Bosch. Period. We got ours same time we got this stovetop. I've still never heard it running...

--we have a 28-1/2 cu.ft. LG side/side/drawer fridge, about 6 years old, no complaints...

Last edited by Kev Williams; 06-10-2021 at 6:49 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

We have a newer Bosch dishwasher with stainless interior. I agree with others that it cleans very well, and is really, really quiet. But the normal cycle is well over two hours, and it doesn't have heaters and air circulation for drying. Plates and glassware and silverware dry fine, but anything plastic doesn't dry well at all, and coffee cups and like will have pools of water in the recesses on the top (bottom). I'm not sure if all Bosch Models are like this, and I know it's an energy saving thing, but it's annoying to have to hand dry all the tupperware and similar items before putting them away. Bosch suggests opening the unit at the end of the cycle to let the moisture evaporate. Well, I'm not going to get up at 2 in the morning to open my dishwasher.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

We have a JennAir dishwasher that's actually made for them by Bosch. Love it.

To adjust flame, take off control knob. Usually there is a tiny screw inside knob shaft to do this. Gas service tech showed me this some years ago. For over twenty years, I maintained a group of rental properties for the owner. Almost every dishwasher failure was the control board. That's why we still have an almost forty year old GE Pot Scrubber. Analogue timer. Forty five minutes, start to finish. When we have company, after meal, we start dish washer, and by end of conversations and coffee, first load is done. Seldom run the dry cycle. Gas stove is a GE, about fifteen years old. Only replaced oven igniter once. Ten bucks off Ebay

We have had 3 Maytag dishwashers in two houses. They work fine, get the dishes clean and the cycles aren’t exceptionally long as others have mentioned and are trouble free. The problem is that the racks rust away and the dividers/ dish holders break off. This happens long before the dishwasher seems to fail. Replacement racks are very expensive so I just end up buying a new machine. Do other brands have this problem?

Blog Entries
    Next time I buy appliances, anything American will definitely be off my list. I've got an LG washer & dryer, which we had problems with both in the first year, but in the 6 or 8 years since then, no issues at all. I hear a lot of good things about Bosch. Every American appliance we've ever had has needed repairing almost yearly. And yes, they are almost all made from the same selection of junk components.

What's your budget? Are you really serious about your cooking or are you just looking for a good appliance?

For "serious" gas, my go-to is Thermador. I love their start-shaped burners because they are adaptable to any size pot/pan including really small ones including when using the "super low" heat settings as low as 150 BTU. I'm really, really, REALLY missing my Thermador range that's at our old property as I'm currently stuck with "bad electric" for cooking until that property sells and I can upgrade the kitchen.

Dishwashers, I'm also missing the Bosch...and will have one in this kitchen as soon as the money is available.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The stove needs to be gas. Not a gourmet cook so just need the basics but want to last. I am hearing to get a self cleaning oven with also convection and seems Bosch for dishwasher. The problem I will have is wanting to match color of fridge which is almond. I hate stainless look. The fridge works great and fits in space just right so not changing that.

Probably should ask about range hood also. Need to replace that too????
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    We bought a Frigidaire gas range/oven a few months ago. It's been a great unit - the oven has a fast preheat option that will preheat in a couple of minutes, and it has convection as well. The top is a gas range, which my wife really wanted, and it works great. The controls are at the front, so no reaching over a hot burner to get to them.

I bought all Frigidaire Gallery Professional appliances when I built the house. There was nothing wrong with the initial stove, other than it being electric and smooth-top, which my wife didn't like. We replaced the fridge because she wanted French doors on the refrigerator portion and drawers for the freezer. We initially bought another Frigidaire, but the ice maker was so bad we returned it and paid a little more for a Whirlpool, which makes tons of ice fast. The dishwasher and microwave, both Frigidaire, are still going strong after 18 years.
    Do you have the model numbers so I can look at them?? Thanks.
    John T.