Thread: What size projects do you do?

What size projects do you do?

I have a Onefinity on order that will do 32" both directions (x and Y). It'll be shipped early next month. However they just announced a wider X axis for it. It's probably a $500 upgrade but it would allow for 48" giving the machine a 32"x48" with the ability to do a full size sheet of plywood. I have no plans on using it commercially but not having set plans on what I want to do I'm wondering if I should just do the upgrade. Chances are it's not even going to cost that much because with the wider width they had to make it stiffer. They also offer a stiffer 32" wide x-axis (both come with a stronger stepper motor and ball screw) that I'm sure I would get for $150 ~ $200. So for $350 is it worth getting an extra 16" of width? What sorts of projects have you done that were larger than 32" in both directions?

I have a 49x49 bed and while most projects are smaller, there are times when I truly appreciate the extra space/opportunity. For that little bit of money you mention, it would be a "no brainer" for me if I had the space for the machine. (most of the time when I use the space it's for half-sheets but sometimes it's for signage, or long carvings)

Honestly, I wish I would have ponied up the extra...three grand...for the other four feet of length in hindsight! LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm already headed down the upgrading road, a 3hp 80mm spindle vs a trim router for example. Room isn't an issue as I'll keep it in my basement vs moving it to my shop. With the spindle sound shouldn't be bad. Also I can set up a cam to keep an eye on it. If there's a problem getting to the shop is a few minute run down a steep hill and in the middle of the night that could be interesting. But there could be a day when I move from this house and tons of land and need to fit everything into one place. So space could be an issue. If the general consensus is that 48" is nice but rarely needed I could talk myself out of it.

I think the real issue is it was only a few years ago when I got my lathe that I told the wife that I'll probably only spend about $3000 on this hobby. That was almost $15k ago and I haven't upgraded to a slider yet.

Onefinity is killing me. I placed the order about a month ago for a woodworker(2500 with accessories). Then they announced 80mm Spindle so I added that(Im at about $3300 now). Then they announced the base(wasnt sure i needed this at this point) Then they added the leveling feet(This either) then they added the stand, then the wall mounting for vertical cnc operation, Then Dust boot upgrade, then Stiffer and longer x axis .

I just emailed them this morning to add the Journeyman base, leveling legs, Upgrade to the longer x50 xaxis(about another 700).

I hope they stop before mine ships in august. I would of went with the wall mount too if I hadnt taken a day to rebuild a cabinet to support this thing.

Did they give you an exact price for the journeyman upgrade? I also have a woodworker on order that's scheduled to ship in less than a month. But with them being behind right now I expect it to be closer to the end of July. It looks like there's several options for the X-50 upgrade. You can have your 1F shipped complete with the older rail and when the new rail is in stock they will ship it to you and give you a box to return the old rail. If you do this there's a $350 credit. Or you they will ship it incomplete and when the new rail is in stock they will ship it to you. I would probably opt to just wait vs sending parts back. I don't expect to hear back for a day or two.

The touch probe wasn't in stock when I placed my original order so didn't add much. I figured what's the point on having a bunch of accessories for a tool that's not going to be here for a few months. Also I was hoping that the 80mm was going to be an option. I would prefer to get everything in just one shipment but that doesn't look like an option. I didn't bother with any of the stuff like the the stands since I have a sheet of 1 1/8" advantech I'm going to use for a table with it (with 3/4" MDF spoilboard). I also didn't order the dust boot because I didn't know if it would work with the 80mm mount. I haven't added up the total cost but with the table, t-track, bits, etc I'm sure I'm getting up there too, lol.

Welcome to "buying your CNC machine"...yea, the options keep coming.

The spindle is totally worth it and hopefully, their setup can be directly controlled from your software for speed control, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I built a Saturn 2x4 (actual capacity is 26" x 50") and there have been 5 or 6 times in the last four years when I could have used a 4x4 machine. I don't have the room for one but I would get the largest machine possible for your given available space and budget.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram