Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting old is tough on a neander

Joe, I put clamps at the end of the 4x6s it’s sitting on as stops. I’m planing cross grain at the moment. I shift the top when needed to miss the clamps. We do what we have to do, right 😉?! And this is likely where it will stay through finishing...so i suspect a lot more plastic drop cloths are in my future.

Nice job Phil! You’re getting your workout the old fashioned way.

Did you plane from the beginning with the 50 degree blade in your #62? Or did you start with something else? After experiencing some tearout when planing hard maple with my #62 with a 27 degree micro bevel, I ordered a new blade which I plan to sharpen to 45 or 50 degrees. I’m still learning about planes, and wondering if having a #62 with 2 blades, along with my block plane, will suffice for most work.

Good looking table top. And almost 2x the size of my workbench top, which tuckered me 10 years ago!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Tim, yes, the 62 at 50 degrees from the beginning. Zero tear out crisscrossing the grain. Takes a bit more to push it, but worth the effort. Not sure yet where I’ll go from here. Maybe the 62 with the grain, or a #7 with a higher angle, or maybe straight to some sand paper. Need to play a bit on the underside to see what works best. Right now, I’m within about 3 - 4 thousands flat…

And to your question; yes, I think a 62 with the two blade angles (and a block plane) could serve you well for many planing tasks. If you get into longer pieces, you may want to consider a jointer, but until then, you can do a lot with the 62 (IMHO).
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 06-14-2021 at 8:29 AM.

It looks like you are doing that next to your bed. I had a sheet of plastic that draped my bed, with holes punched for the bedposts. I would roll it up, strip sash, roll it down to sleep. Roll it up to remove, clean, re-bed the old glass, roll it back at night, all with no bench. Rebuilding windows on the floor was horrible. This looks like you are on the floor as well. If so, I hurt for you and I’m sure sorry for those circumstances.

Good luck on this.

Blog Entries
    Phil, like other folks here I feel your pain. Older I get, more I insist on using “hand tool friendly”wood. Maple need not apply. I very much admire your dedication and stamina with current project!
    Cheers, Mike