Thread: Need Help With Bearings on Bandsaw

Need Help With Bearings on Bandsaw

I have a Grizzly G1012, tis an older model bandsaw.

I am breaking it down replacing the crap metal parts that have cracks. It looks like I need to replace the upper hinge assembly. Which means I need to remove the bearings.

I figured if I need to remove the bearings I might as well replace them.

My problem is I ignorant about buying bearings. I looked up the part number "P6202 BALL BEARING 6202ZZ" for the upper wheel. For the lower wheel it is "P6205 BALL BEARING 6205".

These "seem" like standard parts I can just google and buy, but I don't want to spend $20 plus shipping and handling to get the wrong bearings.

Am I right and they are fairly standard size I can just buy? Or am I missing something on what to do to buy them.

Any help is appreciated.

Those are standard size bearings. The "2zz" suffix means the bearing has shields on both sides. Your choice if you want shields or seals. Seals would be "2rs" suffix.

Instead of paying shipping why not go to a local industrial supplier and pick them up? Motion Industries, Kaman, or Fastenal should be able to supply your bearings.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Blog Entries
    I like to order stuff such as this through McMaster Carr. For mine I spec’d the highest quality rating which McMaster supplier SKF Explorer. They are slightly more expensive but run very quietly.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Those are standard size bearings. The "2zz" suffix means the bearing has shields on both sides. Your choice if you want shields or seals. Seals would be "2rs" suffix.

Instead of paying shipping why not go to a local industrial supplier and pick them up? Motion Industries, Kaman, or Fastenal should be able to supply your bearings.
    Awesome thank you for the information.

I am so used to buying things online I don't even think about buying stuff locally. I will have to look up a place locally thank you for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I like to order stuff such as this through McMaster Carr. For mine I spec’d the highest quality rating which McMaster supplier SKF Explorer. They are slightly more expensive but run very quietly.
    I will check them out, thank you.

For use around wood dust sealed is better then shielded below 6,000 rpm or so.. keeps out dust and keeps grease in. Check the bay to compare prices. Should be under $20 for both delivered.
    Bill D

I agree with Bill above. If your rpm is under 6K I would highly consider sealed bearings. They may generate a little more heat but will keep dust out. I would also highly recommend looking at SKF brand bearings.

A bearing splitter is a very nice tool to have. Two inch is more then big enough in a wood shop. Easier to use then a jaw puller.
    Bill D