Thread: How safe is Evaporust?

How safe is Evaporust?

I’ve purchased some old Millers Falls planes and I’d like to get them tuned up. I’ve thought about soaking some of the parts in Evaporust to take care of some light surface rust. Will this damage the japaning in any way. Thx!

Blog Entries
    If there is rust under the Japanning it could cause it to flake off.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by David Shoemaker View Post
    I’ve purchased some old Millers Falls planes and I’d like to get them tuned up. I’ve thought about soaking some of the parts in Evaporust to take care of some light surface rust. Will this damage the japaning in any way. Thx!
    Just to be clear, unlike Stanley and other mfrs., MF planes were never japanned, but rather enameled.

I agree that, if the bond has not been compromised, they should not be affected.

I’ve used it without issue on many restorations. Be sure to completely submerge the piece…if not, it will leave a witness line that’s very difficult to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I’ve used it without issue on many restorations. Be sure to completely submerge the piece…if not, it will leave a witness line that’s very difficult to remove.
    Quoted for emphasis. I made this mistake.

I've used it a fair amount on a number of tools, including hand planes. No problems. They also say it is safe to dispose of after it's used up.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    The discoloration has to be taken into account as Phil and Nathan mention. I have had no ill effects on MF planes. The Union plane I used it on had no finish left at all (100% rust from someones previous recovery attempt) so cannot comment on that.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Stanley planes and some hand saws take on a grayish hue that is difficult if not impossible to reverse without removing a lot of metal. Haven’t noticed it with other brands/tools.

Quote Originally Posted by David Shoemaker View Post
    Don't know about planes and pretty but I've used it on some seriously rusted mechanical things. Recently I had a PTO coupler on a brush cutter with steel ball bearings which somehow got into the dirt and stayed there for almost 10 years. Everything was so rusted that nothing could be turned. Disassembly and soaking overnight in Evaporust and I was surprised at how it removed the rust and mostly cleaned up the steel. I think it would work well for light surface rust. If in doubt perhaps find some other similarly rusted steel and try that first.

Thanks for all of the helpful feedback everyone! So helpful to be able to tap into the wisdom and experience contained in this forum. Any recommendations on how to treat the plane after the Evaporust soak in order to control future rust? Thx!

David, the Evaporust will leave a darkish patina that I remove with a little scotchbrite scrub (maybe a little wd40). Screws and small parts I clean up with a brass brush. Having grown up in Fresno, I know you get high heat but not high humidity. Finger oil/sweat will be your biggest concern. After use, I wipe my planes down with an oil damp rag and that seems to keep them in good shape.

I just use paste wax and haven't had a problem, but they're also in my basement which is fairly well climate controlled.

Blog Entries
    I wire wheel the rust to bright metal and then apply this.

https://www.krylon.com/products/?N=1...5&gclsrc=3p.ds