Thread: Should I upgrade my bandsaw?

Should I upgrade my bandsaw?

I've been using a Delta 18" 28-682 (built overseas in 2004) for about 10 years. It has its quirks; but, it's served its purpose. I'll be needing to resaw quite a bit of oak in the future and I wonder if I should make the jump to a better machine. Having only used the Delta and a 1920s Parks (babbitt bearings), I don't know what to expect.

I'm looking at a used Felder N4400 for $2k and wonder what folks think about making the jump... and the price.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stelts View Post
    I've been using a Delta 18" 28-682 (built overseas in 2004) for about 10 years. It has its quirks; but, it's served its purpose. I'll be needing to resaw quite a bit of oak in the future and I wonder if I should make the jump to a better machine. Having only used the Delta and a 1920s Parks (babbitt bearings), I don't know what to expect.

I'm looking at a used Felder N4400 for $2k and wonder what folks think about making the jump... and the price.

Thanks.
    one rarely can have too many bandsaws….

Asking this group whether you should get a bigger, better tool?? It is to laugh!

I upgraded last year and decided to keep my 14" Delta with a skinny blade for curved stuff and the big resaw blade on the MM20. It's working out really well, especially considering what a PITA blade changes on the MiniMax are.

Actually looking at the specs on the N4400 it isn't any bigger (perhaps smaller) than your current saw. Not sure you'd notice any particular difference. I was looking for more resaw height, a much bigger table, and a much better fence when looking for a new saw-- quadrupling the power didn't hurt either. What are you looking to achieve with a new saw?

The saws are nearly identical in size. I'm curious whether I'll see a significant change in accuracy and repeatability. I've set up the Delta according to Michael Fortune's recommendations and tried different blades; but, it seems the saw could do follow my lines better than it does. I wonder if it's the saw or an unskilled operator.

Bigger, heavier and more powerful bandsaws do benefit you for resaw type work....smooth operators when working correctly and they can power through the job. Many have a lower table which makes the process of working with heavier stock easier, too. I think that the single biggest challenge comes from any possible compromise to other kinds of work you might often do with a bandsaw. For that reason, Mr. King's comment kinda runs true. Many folks who bring in a major-big bandsaw to handle the heavy work also opt to have a smaller machine for routine cutting and scroll work with narrow blades. A smaller machine is more adaptable to those uses and may be more comfortable for them, too, due to...higher tables. You can certainly do "small work" on a big saw, for sure. (not the opposite, however) But having something large for dedicated resaw can make sense if it's important to your work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My bandsaw experience is mostly with the two I've owned. My first was a "Gil built" home made 12 inch. It was pretty bad and went to the dump when I moved to the current house. I had to put the tools in storage until my shop garage was built and decided that bandsaw wasn't worth storing. Depth of cut was 6 inches and it couldn't even resaw that.

The replacement is a 14 inch Jet steel framed bandsaw. Depth of cut is 13 inches. I am resawing cherry 8 quarter material to make a set of 10 dining room chairs (I need 5/4 and 6/4 material but could only find 8/4 close to me). I would not want to do a long board on this, I do not have infeed and outfeed support for it, but for the pieces I've done which have been 3 feet or less long it works great. Feed rate is fairly slow but I expected that. Boards have been up to 9 inches wide. I found my 3/4 blade worked better than my 1/2 inch blade. I have to cut about 1/8 bigger than I want in the finished block but that is a lot due to my limitations in resawing technique. A couple passes through the planner cleans up the cut (my planner is a lunch box). The motor is 1 3/4 hp, I think. I wouldn't want less.

Your throat capacity is greater than my new saw and if it's depth capacity is OK for the boards you need to cut, it will tension a 3/4 blade, and the motor is 1.5hp or more, it seems to me that it will work. 2hp or more would allow a higher feed rate. It probably also depends some on the blade how much hp you need.

My saw came with a tall fence - 4 inches or so - which is really nice for resawing. If your saw doesn't have that, I would add something to the fence to increase it's height for resawing.
    Last edited by Jim Dwight; 06-10-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    regarding the price, it is too rich. Right now Felder is selling the N4400 new for $2700. You can buy the showroom saw from Sacramento for 1200 or the Anaheim for $2600...