Thread: Need Help using GPS to design Landscaping

Need Help using GPS to design Landscaping

I researched this but I don't think I'm smart enough to understand what I'm reading, so maybe someone can dumb this down for me.
    We have purchased 10 open acres with a pond that we are starting our build of a farm house, shop, carport and tractor shed. We'll wind up with 7 or 8 acres out front for some creative landscaping. My plan is to create a meadow consisting of numerous naturalized areas divided by greenways of mowed tall fescue. The natural areas will have different themes, ie, wildflowers, fruit trees, nut trees, tall grasses, vineyard, bees, birds, etc. Also included will be a golf putting green with artificial turf. In the mowed greenways will be golf tee boxes/landing areas where artificial grass mats will be placed. So, I'm creating a combination meadow and my own version of a small par 3 golf course, within these few acres.

So, here's what I need help with. I want to first, walk the property and locate surveyed corners, ponds, driveway, shop, house, etc by recording GPS points along the way. Then download those points into some software that will then generate a map of those points. Then, I want to use that map and draw my design for this landscaping project. Once the drawing is complete, I want the map to generate connect the dots GPS points. Then I can walk the land with a GPS device and flag the points, therefore drawing the design on the ground.

This is probably a version of how corn mazes are done but I can't seem to find and/or understand any internet site for this application. One said just use Google Earth but I don't see how that gives me everything I'm looking to do.

If someone can help, you can be my first guest at golf!

Thanks,
    Perry

Google maps helped me map out trails at my cabin using GPS coordinates. You can use the measure feature, which I found to be pretty accurate, to help lay out your features.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Maybe take another look at Google Earth. Imagery plus the ability to import GPS points. Tools, GPS, import.
    GE.JPG
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 06-09-2021 at 6:30 PM.

How level is the property? If it is fairly level that avoids a lot of problems with measuring.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    How level is the property? If it is fairly level that avoids a lot of problems with measuring.
    Bill D
    Gentle slope front to back, minor slope right to left.

Oops, Ted has it right Google Earth is what you want not Google Maps
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation