Thread: HVLP Question

Question HVLP Question

I was at the woodworking show in New Jersey Sunday and was talking to the Apollo rep about their A5610 conversion gun, It looked like a real nice product but it was $300.00....Sounds expensive!! Does anyone have any insite on this product or can you recommend something. I would appreciate any information you guys and gals could give me......thanks

binks m1g , been using one since they where first introduced, works great on smaller compressors. and made in the usa for about the same money....02 tod

The conversion guns do use a great deal of air and large air compressors. Make sure you have enough air before purchase. I looked at that road also and ended up buying a Fuji system and love it. Maybe Tod can give you some specs. on the binks if you think the conversion is the way to go.

Richard

don`t know the specs but i have run the binks off of a twin tank carry around emglo on job sites. it`ll make a carry around grunt but it does work. tod

Another source of great information is www.homesteadfinishing.com Personally I have Porter Cable's conversion gun. I think I paid around 100 bucks. It works ok and does use a lot of air. I have a 25 gallon tank and 5hp sanborn compressor that puts out 7 or so cfm at 40psi and the gun could use more. Homestead has a variety of guns that can shoot on smaller amounts of air. I can get away with it if I turn the fanwidth down.

Good luck,
    Jason

I really appreciate the quick reply and i will look into the Binks.I believ my compressor is big enough to handle the conversion gun and my main reason for considering this type is better control of overspray and being able to spray more varied materials. I also looked at the Fugi setup but cant justify the cost on the full system....after all this is just a hobby!

joe, when i first started spraying umpteen years ago i tried the cheaper guns and quickly found out why they are cheaper....before you cut a check talk to the guys who spray for a living, the body shop folks..ask there opinions, they`re just like woodbutchers and love to talk tools....good luck and keep us posted..tod

I have been using the Bink Mach 1 Slim line with 2 quart detached pot. It's a great gun. 2 quarts lets you work for a long time between fills.

I am using the Devilbiss FinishLine HVLP Gravity feed gun. You can get these guns in the $130-150 range. Google it and you will come up with many places that sell it online. They also come in 20oz or 32 oz cups. I originally bought this for a primer gun about 10 years ago. It worked so well that I have not used anything since. It operates on less than 10 cfm. I have used it with compressors with lower than the stated 10cfm. A true HVLP gun used low pressure but a higher volume of air (High Volume Low Pressure) The compressor that I am using it with now is a 5 hp (realistically about 3hp) and a 20 gallon tank. It keeps up just fine. Great gun, you won't be disappointed. BTW it comes with two fluid tips, 1.4mm and 1.8mm for thicker materials (higher viscosity). HTH, Bill

I'm quite pleased with my Wagner HVLP conversion guns...and at $129, they are a steal. Review on my site.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...