Thread: Sealing Epoxy Table Form

Sealing Epoxy Table Form

I am building my first epoxy pour table. I am building the form out of melamine and planning to add Tyvek tape before the pour. Do I also need to seal all the corners with caulk or hot glue (before tape of course)? Or does the tyvek serve that purpose?

Personally, I think it would be a good idea to seal with the caulk first. It's really hard to get a perfect seal with tape and the resin might decide to wander.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's shockingly hard to stop resin from finding it's easy to the floor. I don't do resin tables, but often use it to fill voids, and I always completely overdo containment. Nothing is worse than trying to sell a drip after you've already got a pool of epoxy pooling.

check out Blacktail Studios on YT.....

Hot glue and Tuck Tape does the trick. Be generous with the hot glue in the corners. I would also spray a Mold Release(Stoner Brand) on the inside of the form.
    Jim

Amen! to the form release. just had to grind 3/4" melamine board from a project. Ugly job! And I use form release.
    Advice....
    GET THE BEST FORM RELEASE YOU CAN FIND.
    APPLY PROPERLY.
    REMOVE FORMS ASAP
    CUT NO CORNERS

Doesn’t the tape serve the purpose of the mold release? Is that still needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Starksen View Post
    Doesn’t the tape serve the purpose of the mold release? Is that still needed?
    It helps for sure but using the release makes for a much easier "unveiling" once the resin is cured. While it doesn't stick "hard" to the tape, it will still stick to some extent. Using the release just makes your work easier.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ok. Thanks Jim! And for caulk, does it matter if it’s acrylic or silicone?