Delta 36-725, about 4 years old. Given that it was on sale, and my 10% discount, if this saw melted into a puddle of slag today, I've already gotten my money's worth for how much I use it. Up until now, it was a "pretty fast start" motor, would take less than 1/2 second to come up to speed, couldn't even notice the start up, really. Now it takes about 2 seconds to spin up to speed, and it's really noticeable. Is this something as simple as a start capacitor? Again, for the price paid, this is not worth taking it to an "Authorized service center" and waiting 3 years for them to decide to fix it. I use it weekly, I'll buy another one if it's that far gone.

Yes:
  • Occurs no matter what blade is in it
  • It is plugged to the same, independent 120V circuit with the same cord
  • The dust port/shroud is clear of dust
  • All my other circuits, the shop sub panel, and the main panel, all test as they did when I passed my final electrical 2 years ago.
  • Occurs no matter what circuit in the shop I move the cord to (direct from saw to outlet no extension)

No:
  • There have been no changes to any circuit. I haven't even changed a bulb since my final inspection
  • I am not "forgetting" that there is a piece of 3 inch hard maple on the saw. THere is no wood in the blade on start up.
  • There is no excessive heat on the motor after 1 minute or 20 minutes of run time

Is a start capacitor something that is cheap and easy to replace? I'm thinking if not, I'll use it like I stole it 'till it melts.