Thread: Dust Collection Cart Build

Dust Collection Cart Build

I built this based on a Shop Hacks air filter shootout and Jay Bate's cart build. It's not pretty as it's was a test.... I was doubtful it would actually work. Frankly, I was so shocked at how well it performed I added a controller, a better fan (the one shown) and walnut banding.

With this cart running I can keep my shop air as clean as my living room air. This was verified in tests using a Dylos DC1100 Pro laser particle tester. If you are looking at improving your air filtration, I highly reccomed searching Shop Hacks shootout and Jay Bates cart on youtube.

Notes: the fan I used is not explosion proof. If not comfortable with electrical use the controller as is. Read up on brushed vs brushless motors as brushless motors require a different method of speed control.

Parts:
    -4x FPR10 furnace filters $68
    -18 Inch industrial wall mount fan $60
    -Vivosun variable vent fan speed adjuster $18 (optional)
    -Powertec 3-Inch poly casters $20
    -Home ctr outdoor electrical box $10 (optional)
    -Various scrap bin wood

cart1.jpgcart2.jpgcart3.jpg
    Last edited by fred everett; 06-07-2021 at 1:10 PM.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

Blog Entries
    Nice cart. There's absolutely no need for an explosion proof motor. The fan is pulling clean air past the motor. And you'd really have to put a lot of effort into getting the air dust laden enough to create an explosive atmosphere.

My first thought was, I could hang this in the center of my shop and have an instant ceiling fan. It looks like it work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Nice cart. There's absolutely no need for an explosion proof motor. The fan is pulling clean air past the motor. And you'd really have to put a lot of effort into getting the air dust laden enough to create an explosive atmosphere.
    Thanks. Definitely no need for explosion proof in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    My first thought was, I could hang this in the center of my shop and have an instant ceiling fan. It looks like it work great.
    Thanks. I wish I could have hung the thing but my ceiling is too low. As is you do get a nice breeze which is quite pleasant lol.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

What a great idea. I have a Delta air cleaner that hangs from the ceiling, which I have never taken the time to hang in my new shop.

Are you saying that this unit cleans the air faster and better than the standard type? Mine has a series of filters over one roughly 12 X 24" opening. If the answer is yes, I just happen to have a fan like yours that which I am not using. As much air as that fan draws, and with four sides of intake area, I might just have to sell the Delta. Don't want to hang it anyway.

Looks like your unit will fit right into that dead area behind the side table of my table saw, and not really take up very much useable space.

Thanks for the post. I will check out the Jay Bates site.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    What a great idea. I have a Delta air cleaner that hangs from the ceiling, which I have never taken the time to hang in my new shop.

Are you saying that this unit cleans the air faster and better than the standard type? Mine has a series of filters over one roughly 12 X 24" opening. If the answer is yes, I just happen to have a fan like yours that which I am not using. As much air as that fan draws, and with four sides of intake area, I might just have to sell the Delta. Don't want to hang it anyway.

Looks like your unit will fit right into that dead area behind the side table of my table saw, and not really take up very much useable space.

Thanks for the post. I will check out the Jay Bates site.
    The unit performs 100x better than my Jet afs 1000 which I don't believe is large enough for my shop. I looked at adding one of the larger Jet 2000 series scrubbers but they're $699. The cart was a fraction of the cost.

One thing you have to keep in mind is the variables......no two shop are the same which is why I prototyped the unit first. I was willing to "eat" the $68 cost of the furnace filters if the unit didn't work. I had everything else required on hand.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Ok ,,, very nice. An improvement; lower it a few inches by trimming that wasted space at the bottom. Put a flat surface above the fan, 2" clearance from the guard should be enough. That will be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Ok ,,, very nice. An improvement; lower it a few inches by trimming that wasted space at the bottom. Put a flat surface above the fan, 2" clearance from the guard should be enough. That will be useful.
    Thanks for the suggestions Tom. There's probably a formula that shows how space below the filters affects airflow. There's a gent David on here that could figure it out in two seconds, but I'm not that smart lol. Anyway, I left that space as I planned to use a furnace blower on the final build. My "proof of concept" performed so astonishingly well I stayed with a fan.

If I understand correctly you mean a table of sort above the fan. If so, I wouldn't want to mess with that. I found a fan blowing at the ceiling moves a discernible amount of air to all corners. Adding a surface above fan would fire the air to the sides and would likely create back pressure. Would the surface be detrimental to performance? I don't know, but I'd be afraid of throwing something doing anything to this build as it kicks butt as it sits..
    Thanks,
    Fred

Nice unit and I like the variable speed. I built a ceiling unit with a furnace fan and a timer switch. Is it possible to do variable speed and a timer.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Nice unit and I like the variable speed. I built a ceiling unit with a furnace fan and a timer switch. Is it possible to do variable speed and a timer.
    Sure the timer would get power first then the variable switch unless the timer is mechanical then it won't matter the order
    Ron