Thread: weird drawer detail ??

weird drawer detail ??

I was perusing my favorite auction sites and saw what they describe as an antique dresser, and one of the pics had this drawer detail:

2021-06-07_09h37_15.jpg

This hardly looks like "antique" drawer construction. Is this something done with a router jig?
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Looks like something called a Knapp Joint: https://furnishgreen.com/fun-furnitu...e-knapp-joint/

My Mom had a dresser with drawers like that - it was something she had inherited from an aunt, so it was most likely from the early 1900's.

Interesting. Thanks for the info Gary. Now that I know what it's called, there is a lot of info on it. And it looks intuitive enough to use, right?

2021-06-07_11h39_16.jpg

Megan Fitzpatrick did an article on this early machine made joint I remember. Assuming an Internet search is finding the original, it was written after she'd left PopWood and was submitting articles to the other team.

It looks like it's behind the Fine Woodworking pay wall now, but if you have membership I enjoyed reading it:

The history of the cove-and-pin joint

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Megan Fitzpatrick did an article on this early machine made joint I remember. Assuming an Internet search is finding the original, it was written after she'd left PopWood and was submitting articles to the other team.

It looks like it's behind the Fine Woodworking pay wall now, but if you have membership I enjoyed reading it:

The history of the cove-and-pin joint

I do - thx for the link