Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stair Treads

I sincerely appreciate the replies. I was a bit premature in describing the job as I just found out (by cell phone) that the treads are 50"+ and there are 2 landings to deal with. So, it appears the premade 48" options are out (much to my disappointment). I will be personally inspecting the job site in the next few days. Looks like my best option is to buy the widest boards, trying to get rift sawn grain. Given the need for lengths, looks like I'll have to do some minimal glue ups if I can't get wide enough boards. Also, there is no access from below (to fasten the treads), so I'll need to consider other options. Stay tuned

Bob, thinking about my earlier advice to shoot for one piece, I think that if you can source primarily rift sawn, you can get the stability of a glue-up while all but eliminating that fact visually as some others have mentioned. Glue-ups do add to the workload, but given your "blind" attachment situation, may be helpful. And as has also been mentioned, screwing down with a counterbore and fabbing matching tapered plugs that "disappear" would not be an unreasonable way to cope with not having access from below. It's not an uncommon technique and can be justified for physical strength and the resultant safety. If you create a "whole bunch" of plugs and take your time with selection, you really can get most of them to nearly exactly match the grain pattern of the board they will live in permanently.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice story

Rona, I thank you for your kindness.....and please tell your friends that the movie rights are for sale !!

Have used this company several times...... Family business and we call them around here good old country boys....

Not associated with.

Last time we used them we had them make solid cherry risers and threads.

https://hardwoodstairtreads.com/