Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with shorts and scraps?

With me it comes down to the space. I want to keep everything and I initially I do, but I'm eventually forced to get rid on some. However, I get what ya'll are saying as I just used a long thin piece of Sapele that's been in my shop for at least 8 years....it fit as a filler like it was machined as such.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

Mount them in random configurations on thin plywood. Then sell them to photographers as backdrops.

Good intentions made my shop so cluttered with stacks and buckets of scraps I could hardly move. Now I keep only a couple of buckets. The rest gets given away to friends if they can use it or it goes in the wood stove. At some point you have to be ruthless about getting rid of stuff in order to have enough room to work.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Wood for smoking food if they're nice flavoured wood, or if cedar, make planked salmon.

regards, Rod.
    I have a big batch of cherry, but I live in the woods and have it growing wild. I have one about to come down that will cover me with smoking chunks for the rest of my life.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Will not offer any more suggestions but.... From the posts offering suggestions it seems woodworkers all suffer from wood scrap OCD. Me included.

Two words: Wood Stove. I do have a 2' x 3' x 2' rolling cart I save useful sized scrap in, but that is the strict limit. The rest goes into the stove, fire pit, or maple sap evaporator. I'm fortunate that my pyromania just manages to offset my desire to need to hang on to pieces of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Will not offer any more suggestions but.... From the posts offering suggestions it seems woodworkers all suffer from wood scrap OCD. Me included.
    Guilty as charged.

I really like Stephen's idea of mason jars of wood dust labelled by species. That is brilliant, and Ed's idea of making more Lincoln logs to go with the existing collection is equally coruscating.

Mostly these days I work in white oak and hickory so the scraps can go straight to my BBQ pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    I really like Stephen's idea of mason jars of wood dust labelled by species. That is brilliant, and Ed's idea of making more Lincoln logs to go with the existing collection is equally coruscating.

Mostly these days I work in white oak and hickory so the scraps can go straight to my BBQ pits.
    I do that now, in a way. I've been working with QSWO that is subsequently fumed and the fuming seems to not penetrate glue joints at splines and dovetails. When an oil and wax finish is applied, any glue and sawdust gap fills stick out. I pre-fumed a bunch of fine sanding dust for color matched patching material. It works great.

Chunks of kiln dried white oak make great wood for the Big Green Egg. I have a whole bucket full.

Here's my offcut rack. It has 5 levels sorted by species, sort of.

Offcut Rack.jpg
    Makes it easier to find the right piece and instills some discipline.

How many of you are in this category?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sam Blasco has (or had) a whole interior wall of offcuts in weird radial and flowing patterns in his shop. Really cool and artsy. I think it was just all glued in place.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I don't have a cart with shelves, but I have stylish cardboard boxes from Aldi which hold scraps that are sorted by species, one each for walnut, African mahogany, curly maple and cherry.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Sam Blasco has (or had) a whole interior wall of offcuts in weird radial and flowing patterns in his shop. Really cool and artsy. I think it was just all glued in place.

Erik
    If I'm not mistaken, he carried that theme a little bit into the house he built, too. I remember some photos on social media of some pretty interesting wood treatments.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As if they are reading this forum, Fine Woodworking put up an article about marquetry that mentions it is a good use for small scraps. The author saws the scraps down to 1/16 inch veneers.
    https://www.finewoodworking.com/2021...t-of-marquetry