Thread: Bluebirds, Second Nesting, Same Box, Different Pair

Bluebirds, Second Nesting, Same Box, Different Pair

I have one Bluebird box that always hosts the first nesting of the season. The pair fledged there five little ones two weeks ago. Last week saw them building a second nest, or at least I thought I did. Upon inspection yesterday, noticed that eggs were WHITE, not blue as they had been for first nest. This means a different pair is now using the box. If original pair was using box, she would be laying blue eggs, not white. Yes I have observed coming and goings, and pair are definitely Bluebirds. Approx 5% of female Bluebirds lay white eggs

That's interesting. You would assume the original pair would be there again. Without the egg color you would never know.

Thats really cool. I've built and put out two boxes but no luck so far. My location is not ideal but a blue bird did check out the house last year. My first and only sighting. The wrens love the blue bird boxes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    Thats really cool. I've built and put out two boxes but no luck so far. My location is not ideal but a blue bird did check out the house last year. My first and only sighting. The wrens love the blue bird boxes though.
    I built many bird boxes with middle school kids. They get totally thrilled if any bird nests in it. Interesting to kids of all ages!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    That's interesting. You would assume the original pair would be there again. Without the egg color you would never know.

Before they could return, another pair set up house keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Before they could return, another pair set up house keeping.

Prime Real Estate!