Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long do you keep your dust collection system "on"?

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Are you saying that the DC1000 was able to take the count from 1500 to 300 in 4 minutes in a 9000 cubic foot shop? That would require about 3600 CFM of clean air Seems a bit ambitious for the DC1000.

Did you try turning on the DC1000 to clear the smoke from the bonfire? That would be interesting data.
    Point One: Only stating what I saw.

Point Two: No I did not turn on my Jet 1000 to filter my garage, I popped in to grab a 12' ladder, which I promptly fell off and landed in my creek, while pruning some branches. This morning the Dylos was at 154 when I entered, with no filtration running.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    ... I popped in to grab a 12' ladder, which I promptly fell off and landed in my creek...
    Good choice. Landing in the creek seems far better than landing in the bonfire...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Point One: Only stating what I saw..
    Ok, thanks. Good to know it wasn't a controlled experiment.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

I heard that last year, with the big California bonfires that there was a massive run on in house air filters (HEPA and others). I also wondered how well they worked.

I do know that my Jets work against sand from Lake Mali travelling across the Atlantic and depositing on the Gulf Coast. Kinda a small nitch of uses, but I'm also curious how it will work with the present sandstorm coming my way. Crazy concept.

My ambient air has a small particle count of about 500 on the Dylos, and I'm on the water on the Gulf Coast, so you're doing great if your ambient air is 250-350.

That being said, if you keep the Jet on for a few hours (or in my case both the Jet 1000B and the Jet 2000), you can get impressively low numbers - amazingly clean air to breathe:
    Dylos with Great Readings.jpg

So, buy a good air cleaner of the correct size for your shop, and use it. I've seen too many patients with horrible lung disease. It's not a great life, to say the least.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I heard that last year, with the big California bonfires that there was a massive run on in house air filters (HEPA and others). I also wondered how well they worked.
    I remember that. There was also a run on box fans and furnace filters. I wondered how well that worked so, having a couple of fans and filters, I burned a small piece of newspaper in my shop. I turned on the fans and recorded some data.

The following chart shows the 0.5 and 2.5 micron channels of my particle counter with the values converted to the Imperial units of the Dylos:

SmokeTestDylos091420_wide.jpg

The filters are MERV 12 plus a MERV 2 prefilter. The 0.5 channel shows a half life of about 11 minutes. That's in about 5800 cubic feet. That's equivalent to getting 350 CFM of clean air into the room, or in the same range as a room air cleaner (HEPA or not) with a 350 CFM CADR spec.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    So, buy a good air cleaner of the correct size for your shop, and use it. I've seen too many patients with horrible lung disease. It's not a great life, to say the least.
    No it's not Alan! I knew a good man (metal & woodworker) that developed lung disease....horrendously sad.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.