Thread: Pricing Delta 28-245 Band Saw Completely Overhauled

Pricing Delta 28-245 Band Saw Completely Overhauled

I need suggestion of what I should price by 28-245 Bandsaw at. Initial price was $225. After buying, I completely overhauled it including: Putting a 5" riser on it, new height adjustment rod (for upper guide), new front and back blade guards; Freed both guides of rust by a professional machinist and both work perfectly now; New tires upper and lower; Lock down casters for mobility; new 1 hp. motor on it; new drive pully; Belt; New upper thrust bearing; new Carter 3/16 4TPI Skip blade. My total input cost (without $0 for labor) = $1020. Runs better than my new Rikon 10-326 Deluxe. All that cast Iron makes a difference. Please give me you input on a sale price. Thanks, Pat Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Sullivan View Post
    I need suggestion of what I should price by 28-245 Bandsaw at. Initial price was $225. After buying, I completely overhauled it including: Putting a 5" riser on it, new height adjustment rod (for upper guide), new front and back blade guards; Freed both guides of rust by a professional machinist and both work perfectly now; New tires upper and lower; Lock down casters for mobility; new 1 hp. motor on it; new drive pully; Belt; New upper thrust bearing; new Carter 3/16 4TPI Skip blade. My total input cost (without $0 for labor) = $1020. Runs better than my new Rikon 10-326 Deluxe. All that cast Iron makes a difference. Please give me you input on a sale price. Thanks, Pat Sullivan
    What's your local market look like? Around me, the ads for old Delta 14"s in good shape are up for weeks if they're priced more than $500. You've put a lot of effort/money into it, but I wouldn't expect to get it back out. Namely because it's going to take someone who appreciates those upgrades. As soon as you get to the $700-$800 range, people start wondering why they don't just buy a new 14" Grizzly/Jet/etc.

Short story, that will be a hard sell with that kind money invested. Those 14” BS’s there’s lot of them out there,I have rebuilt maybe 10 of the older BS over yrs but never put riser block on them. Like my ole father inlaw use to say “You can always go down in price but you can’t go up”
    Good luck I know you put a lot of labor into it

Thank you. I know I will not get out of it what I have in it, but I am hoping for around $600 - $650. It is in beautiful condition now. Even the paint and table just shine. Do you think that is doable. Also, where should I market it?

Don't really have a suggestion for what you should price it at, depends on lot on where you are and what local market is for used machinery. I've had pretty good luck selling things on facebook marketplace; there are scammers and jerks there but far fewer than on Craigslist, at least in my area. Right now, some new machines are still hard to come by, with long lead times, so that helps the used market. Certainly do a search of marketplace and craigslist to see what is on the market now in your area and get an idea of prices.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I recently bought an unused Delta 28-216 for $400. 1.5/2.0 hp motor depending on 120v/220v. I did not really believe the unused part but seeing how much saw dust this thing makes and how much was in it when I bought it, I believe it now. I jumped on it since a new 14" bandsaw with equal motor is about $1200. It had some rust on the table and some screws from sitting for 20 odd years and needed tires/drive belt and I went ahead and replaced the guide blocks/thrust bearings with ceramics. I put probably 5 hours into dissassembling, polishing and lubing everything. It was my first band saw so I wanted to do this anyways to learn about it, so a good bit of time was spent figuring out why exactly something works the way it does. Other than that it was tip top. Recently saw a Grizzly G0513x2 17" sell for $800, I tried to buy it thinking I could turn around and at least get my money back on the Delta but someone had already offered him more than he was asking. I think $600-$650 would be a hard sell. I would put it up for what you want and see what happens. You can always lower the price and you might find the person that appreciates the overhaul. Now is the time to sell, any deals that come up get snatched up immediately. FB marketplace is much more active around me compared to Craigslist in South Louisiana and surrounding areas.
    Last edited by Cassius Nielsen; 06-06-2021 at 2:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Sullivan View Post
    Thank you. I know I will not get out of it what I have in it, but I am hoping for around $600 - $650. It is in beautiful condition now. Even the paint and table just shine. Do you think that is doable. Also, where should I market it?
    I think that's at least a good starting point. Someone may bite on it for that. Also depends how fast you want it gone. If you're not in any hurry, no harm in listing in and see what happens over a period of time. Worst thing that happens is you drop your price.

I have better luck with Facebook Marketplace (as both buyer and seller), but I'd crosspost it on Craigslist as well. Just have to be more careful about scammers.

Might help if we knew what is was. Is it 10, 14 or 20 inches?
    Location and what monetery units? Dollars but whose dollars.
    Bill D.