Thread: I need help finding a Youtube video.

I need help finding a Youtube video.

I was watching a Youtube about making some jig. I can't remember which jig it was or what it was for - or - even who made it.

All I remember is the video showed an easy way to make 90* triangular support pieces - the type used to reinforce a fence.

He mentioned that trying to cut a square piece of wood on the diagonal was futile - then went on to show his super easy & accurate method.

TIA
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Rich, I haven't seen the video, but one could start with a long stick and just cut off triangles from the end alternating 45 and 90 degrees.
    Mark McFarlane

Go to your YouTube history. It should be there.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Rich, I haven't seen the video, but one could start with a long stick and just cut off triangles from the end alternating 45 and 90 degrees.
    +1. That's what I have done. Make the "stick" as wide as the triangle's sides need to be.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I think I've seen that video. He cuts 3 squares, two the same size and then one larger.

He then aligns them in a way, using his crosscut sled fence, and makes a perfect 45 degree cut in the large square, with the small squares used for positioning and support of the large square.

I'm going to have a play around with this tomorrow to see if I can jog my memory of how this was done.

Would love to find that video again.

Hi Rich. If the video that you are looking for happens to be the one that ChrisA mentioned then this may be the one:

** This link should start the video at the point of interest: https://youtu.be/njsD5W6fcI0?t=1955

I have never seen that technique before, and I looked. Making memorial flag cases I always struggled with the triangle for the back. Eventually I just used a track saw to make the long cut but it was never perfect. Because it was the back it was good enough, this way is better.

Thanks for finding it.

Excellent, that certainly was the principle I was looking for (around the 36:40 mark), thank you

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post

you can look at your history on youtube. Every video you ever watched hope this helps

you can also search your history

Richard - that's an excellent video - but - not the one I had in mind.
    Thanks for it though - it will come in handy.

George (and Dave) - I did go through my history - but - the problem is, I have a huge number of videos I watched in the last two/three weeks. I haven't felt well enough to get out and about so I've been watching video's all day and night.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    In other words, the two small squares are equidistant from each other and centered on the blade centerline?

Put the bigger square as a diamond touching each other and cut?

Richard, you might be referring to this video by William Ng: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AgVthkUE4AU

I love this guy, very precise. He is known by many for his 5 cut method to square a crosscut sled. Unfortunately he hasn’t posted videos for a while.

Tim,
    That's it!
    Thank you. I do have this in my history & I recall watching it so, this is the one I was thinking of.

I agree about William Ng. His videos are great.

Thanks for the thread. Love his vids. How could any woodworker be a hater of fine woodworking? Anyways, just found my next project...