Thread: Dust collection for tools inbetween hand held and standing

Question Dust collection for tools inbetween hand held and standing

Hi all - I've read just about everything I can find on dust collection - reviews, articles , discussions on forums like this one. I understand the difference between low static pressure, high volume airflow with a dust collector vs high pressure low volume with a shop vac. And yet I still have a few questions.

Currently, I am using a shopvac with an oneida dust deputy and a hepa filter in the vac. Most of my power tools are portable or bench top models, and for the most part, the vac plus dust deputy has been acceptable. (I also have a Jet air filter, but I recognize it's better to get the dust at the source).

The only tool i have this is a true floor model is a Laguna 1412. This is also the only tool I have with a dust port larger than 2" (it has a 4" port, which I currently have reduced to 2 1/2". ) I haven't had it long enough to tell if the shop vac will do an acceptable job.

The rest of my tools have 2" or smaller dust ports - Dewalt Job Site Saw (2 1/2" port below the blade and 1 1/2" port on the blade guard), Router Table (1 1/2" port near bit and a 2 1/2" port on the fence), Miter Saw (1 1/2" port only), and a Grizzly 6" jointer with 2" port. The jointer and planer have ejection fans and I've currently got them ejecting directly into bags rather than my shopvac.

So far, the miter saw is the least satisfactory but from what I've read that's pretty common and some kind of hood is probably needed.

I've read that the Dewalt 735 planer will overwhelm a shop vac. I don't know if the chip ejection fan on the grizzly jointer is as powerful as the planer but the user guide says it requires 190 CFM which is more than what my shopvac can provide.

I don't really have the space to add a dust collector unless I get rid of the shop vac. Plus I'm not sure that's what's called for since the planer and jointer have 2" ports and the miter saw has an even smaller port. I was considering swapping out the 30 um bags on the planer and jointer for 5um bags, but I read that the Dewalt 735 might just blow it right off because it's too powerful.

Would using the better bags result in less of the smaller particles being thrown into the air? Would a dust collector make a significant difference in my particular situation?

Thanks!

The 735 has an inboard blower. It will eject the dust. You can rig it up with a 4 inch hose into a garbage can with appropriate lid to hold the 4 inch hose. Just remember it makes lots of chips and dust so make sure your can is large enough.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

The shop vac will work for a surprisingly long time, but won’t suck up the fine dust like a more powerful DC would do. I started with a single stage DC and have a cyclone now, big difference with each step up. My machines are bigger though.

Thanks Michelle. I don't really have room for a large can. Did you suggest that because you think the 5um bag is a bad idea?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jasper View Post
    Thanks Michelle. I don't really have room for a large can. Did you suggest that because you think the 5um bag is a bad idea?
    A 5 micron bag will keep the shop looking cleaner, but be sure to wear a respirator while the DC is running & for a good while, like a long while, after it's been shut off. it can take hours for the sub-micron particles to settle out to an acceptable level as long as there's activity going on in the shop.

Before installing a full blown DC system, I used a large Ridgid shop vac & dust deputy and it did surprisingly well with my 13" planer & 6" jointer. It caught almost all the chips, but obviously not as well with the finer dust. If you don't have room for a large can, then use a 5 gallon bucket & just empty frequently.

I went with a wall mounted Rikon 1hp DC and a Rockler 28' hose that slinks down to about 6' when not stretched out. The bag is 2 micron. Its not the end all be all set up by any means but its much nicer to just move one hose around instead of a screaming shop vac and a hose. The bag can only get about half full before I notice a drop in suction and there will be a few chips on the ground from whatever machine I'm using but I still find it much more enjoyable than the shop vac. A 3" to 2" rubber reducer on the 2" ported machines coupled with a 4" to 3" PVC reducer on the hose has worked well for me. The PVC fitting will also slide into 4" ports and make a reasonable seal.

So I'm still a bit confused - is the point that a bucket or can will contain finer dust vs a 5 um bag? I could run either of them directly into the dust deputy bucket - with or without the vac turned on -- it would be a run of about 6'.
    I guess what I'm trying to understand is whether a shop vac/ dust deputy will be better than a bag (or can) or whether the DW735 will overwhelm the shop vac and result in more problems than just a passive bag.