Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: High school grad can't read cursive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I have read every post but I did read a lot of them. sorry if someone else brought it up. So are high school graduating class of 2021 can't read theseAttachment 459814Attachment 459815How sad and unacceptable
    Have you considered that it's been a very, very, very long time since anyone had to read the original, hand-written versions? These are very important documents and the text of each have been transcribed many many times. Those are extremely hard to read by most people including those of us who grew up learning cursive. I certainly didn't "learn" them in school in the 1970s by reading the original handwritten text! The cursive we learned wasn't anything like these documents are written in, too. So yes, kids today to read these in school...they read the words and learn the significance. So for me, the argument just doesn't wash...cursive isn't required to read, learn and understand important things because nearly 100% of anything like that is available in non-cursive form, pretty much "on demand" and from anywhere.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

FWIW- many days when I have so many things to do I get dizzy trying to keep track,
    I write things down on a 3x5 spiral notepad that I hang around my neck. It's the
    only "I Pad" I'll ever own. Handwriting is still a necessary skill IMO, and doing it in cursive
    is MUCH faster than lifting the pencil for every letter!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I use the Notes app on my iDevices and Mac for that, Kev. Different strokes...
    --

Blog Entries
    Handwriting is still a necessary skill IMO, and doing it in cursive
    My 'printing' is faster than my cursive. Who says the pencil has to be lifted for every letter? My printing is all caps and there is usually a trace of ink or pencil between the letters.

Though sometimes when writing very neatly my pen or pencil is lifted between letters.

In college, one of my classes was in calligraphy. That isn't used often.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Kev you call that MYpad LOL and I write my notes down too, on a piece of paper on my desk.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I use the Notes app on my iDevices and Mac for that, Kev. Different strokes...
    If voice to text works well maybe it's as fast as writing in cursive. If I had to use a screen keyboard in lieu of written notes it would seriously slow me down.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    If voice to text works well maybe it's as fast as writing in cursive. If I had to use a screen keyboard in lieu of written notes it would seriously slow me down.
    I use voice to text a lot at this point for texting...both with my phone and with my watch including using CarPlay in our vehicles,...but I haven't tried it yet with Notes. I suspect it will work just fine given it's the same speech engine. I have punctuation down so it's pretty much automatic when I'm doing speech to text at this point.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post

FWIW- many days when I have so many things to do I get dizzy trying to keep track,
    I write things down on a 3x5 spiral notepad that I hang around my neck. It's the
    only "I Pad" I'll ever own. Handwriting is still a necessary skill IMO, and doing it in cursive
    A week ago I mentioned this to a friend who is much older than me, his response was surprising

"You graduated and yet you can't read Latin. When I graduated from high School we needed a basic comprehension of Latin. Has this lack of a basic skill hindered you?"

I think cursive will be viewed as Latin, required for some professions, irrelevant for most...........Rod.

Blog Entries
    Saw an article about alphabets becoming extinct and reminded me of this thread > https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...-of-extinction

Some thing become obsolete due to lack of use or need to use. Some, like cursive writing, are made obsolete by technology replacing them with something easier to use.

Often my wife confuses me by saying something to her iPad. My response used to be, "what?" Now if she only says a word or two it is obvious she is trying to enter a word she doesn't know how to spell.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post

Standard education has changed with technology.

There are new things to be taught. Some of the old things may have to fall to the wayside.

We used to learn how to use a card catalog in a library many years ago. Most libraries no longer have card catalogs.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Some thing become obsolete due to lack of use or need to use.
    Wanted to add that this can happen at level of society or individual.

My mother tongue is Hindi. We speak Hindi at home, and few related languages as well.
    Hindi was part of curriculum till 10th grade (high school) but after that I have not done any formal education in Hindi.
    After grade 10, we were in India for over a decade. During that period I practically never wrote anything in Hindi.
    I can still read and speak Hindi fluently but if I have to write something, I will struggle with spellings.
    Well, to be honest, I will have to refresh myself on some not common letters (which I am going to do now).

I do not care if someone prints or uses cursive. I do care if they can write clearly and logically. The people working for me had to be able to write long technical reports and some really struggled.

It’s worse than we imagined.

Kids these days can no longer press cuniform into clay tablets.

I am shaken.
    Life is too short for dull sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wilson View Post
    It’s worse than we imagined.

Kids these days can no longer press cuniform into clay tablets.

I am shaken.
    --

15. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Have you considered that it's been a very, very, very long time since anyone had to read the original, hand-written versions? These are very important documents and the text of each have been transcribed many many times. Those are extremely hard to read by most people including those of us who grew up learning cursive. I certainly didn't "learn" them in school in the 1970s by reading the original handwritten text! The cursive we learned wasn't anything like these documents are written in, too. So yes, kids today to read these in school...they read the words and learn the significance. So for me, the argument just doesn't wash...cursive isn't required to read, learn and understand important things because nearly 100% of anything like that is available in non-cursive form, pretty much "on demand" and from anywhere.

Wow, I've never thought about this before, and it's really true! I don’t remember the last time I read something written by hand. The situation became even worse when the quarantine began, because then there was no need to write by hand. All tasks and assignments that we are preparing, the help that we receive from services like papersowl.com is all typed. By the way, if I have already started talking about educational services, then never use the services that you do not know about or which you have not read a review. I always try to look for a service on the trustpilot, it is a great advantage for me.
    Wow, I've never thought about this before, and it's really true! I don’t remember the last time I read something written by hand.
    Last edited by Amanda Turciya; 07-01-2021 at 1:45 PM.